Leaking Upper Oil Pan ?

85VicWagonGuy

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm losing at least a quart every couple hundred miles.

There's a coating of oil on the lower oil pan (1998 Deville), but only a few drops on the driveway... so it's leaking when running.

My mechanic said that the upper pan is prone to leaking and should have been recalled. Supposedly, it's a 10hr ($1000) job because the engine has to come out.

Anyone else have a leaky oil pan?

Are you sure it's a half-case seal leak? It could be the oil pan gasket. You can buy oil dye to put in the crankcase and by using a black light pinpoint where the leak is.

MAC1 said:
Are you sure it's a half-case seal leak? It could be the oil pan gasket. You can buy oil dye to put in the crankcase and by using a black light pinpoint where the leak is.

No, we're not sure yet. My mechanic just said that in his experience, it's never the oil pan.

I know of a few that said they had leaking which turned out to be the head gasket. Check behind the power steering pump. There is a very small reservoir like area that can fill with oil indicating a head gasket leak (it may not be the one or only leak, however); it could also be leaking from a line next to the oil filter. If you’re convinced the mechanic knows what he is talking about and you opt to replace the half-case seal, I suggest you make him understand that if it's misdiagnosed then you are entitled to a refund of the $1000. You may want to get a second, third and fourth opinion or until someone is certain. Don't let anyone BS you into a repair that you don't need.

My 97 seeped oil from the lower pan. its a 2 piece block that likes to seep, not the usual oil pan like earlier 4.1 -4.9 series. be careful....it will actually cost around 1800.00.

Oil Pan Leak

My '93 DeVille was leaky too, and yeah it was the oil pan gasket. Had mine replaced, leak begone. Tab on that was just over $500, it's not an easy thing to get to, labor intensive but they didn't have to pull the motor on my 4.9 model.

:C

85VicWagonGuy said:
I'm losing at least a quart every couple hundred miles.

There's a coating of oil on the lower oil pan (1998 Deville), but only a few drops on the driveway... so it's leaking when running.

My mechanic said that the upper pan is prone to leaking and should have been recalled. Supposedly, it's a 10hr ($1000) job because the engine has to come out.

Anyone else have a leaky oil pan?

Hey Its the case half leak thats what they call it I got that fixed on my car too in California at a cadillac dealership they charge $3,000 to fix it. I'm pretty sure its that because the oil pan itself is not known to leak. Northstar engines are known to have it leak at above 20,000 miles but depend on the engine when it starts to leak. Check if its leaking from the oil pan gasket or above, if its above the oil pan its gotta be the case half. I also found out the problem with your keyless entry its the aftermarket stereo when your aftermarket stereo was hooked up did they hook up your stock one in the trunk? I found out a way to go around it if you want to keep the aftermarket one but if you still have the stock one put it in and you will have no problems get back to me if you need a kit.

2000 Deville Oil Pan Leak

I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville and it appears the bottom of my oil pan is leaking. The 1st mechanic said I need to replace the oil pan gasket and the timing cover for a total of $1300.

I took it for a second opinion and this mechanic wasn't convinced the pan was leaking. He put some dye in the car and asked me to come back in two days. It also appeared that the power steering hose could be leaking as well.

He said to ge to the timing cover they would have to take out the tranny which is 10 hours of labor. That is why he wanted to make sure first???

There is no leaks overnight, but after driving I get a small oil spot in the garage? Any advicew ould be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Leaky oil pan gasket

I have a 2000 DeVille. I was also told that I have a leaky oil pan gasket. I called a friend to see if he could change it and he said yes as long as the cross member doesn't run under the oil pan. Does anyone know if it does or not?

Members online

Back