Leaking fluid ( hydraulic fan maybe?)

Larry85326

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok my 2001 3.9 . Finally got the A bank chains back together and everything seems to be holding. But I have a leak on the passenger side that for the life of me I can not see. Wish I still had a lift but Covid tightened my pockets and sold it I can't see much from the ra pa it's sitting on but it looks like maybe the hydronic fan res but feeling the lines it's dry and uid still says max full. I do have a small oil leak from the valve cover but this is not leaving a puddle like I get here fluid is brown and gross not nice pink color I put in or the gold clean oil. Thing is this has leaked so much that one or the other would have given a noticeable change in levels. Am I missing some thing here?

The motor mounts are fluid filled, and can rupture and leak for a little while. The color is red/brown.
If memory serves, the transmission cooler lines also run on the passenger side.

Trans shifts fine .. Wow motor mounts?? . I'm not even going to ask if you can still get them or not..... Ya I am. Anny clue what they run. I did notice mount was wet but didn't think anything about it. You got a lot of knolage with these cars. I need to ask, did you work at a dealership or factory at some point with these cars? Or did you invent it? Everytime a problem is asked you are on the money with what's wrong with them . Thank you I'll look at mount again and see if that may gotten damaged some how.

No, just an engineer that likes to dig into things. Looks like the motor mounts for the 1st gen are gone, but the 2nd gen V8 one may still be available at about $85. I know of no reason that the 1st and 2nd gen mounts wouldn't interchange. As it turns out, I threw away a brand new, still in the box, mount a few months ago. No one here seemed interested, and it was taking up space. I still have a new lower radiator hose to throw out.

Note that my mounts failed due to age and not damage, as far as I could tell.

No, just an engineer that likes to dig into things. Looks like the motor mounts for the 1st gen are gone, but the 2nd gen V8 one may still be available at about $85. I know of no reason that the 1st and 2nd gen mounts wouldn't interchange. As it turns out, I threw away a brand new, still in the box, mount a few months ago. No one here seemed interested, and it was taking up space. I still have a new lower radiator hose to throw out.

Note that my mounts failed due to age and not damage, as far as I could tell.
I would be interested in the lower radiator hose fit my 2002 V8 without oil cooler. I am really surprised no one wanted to claim free new parts!

I would be interested in the lower radiator hose fit my 2002 V8 without oil cooler. I am really surprised no one wanted to claim free new parts!
It is with oil cooler, so you would have two hoses to plug off.

Lift life makes things so much easier, but what I really wanted to say is, Joe! Wow! You're the man! I got that leak when my car was only maybe 7 or 8 years old, but I probably would not have called the motor mount out like you just did, and to find that the OP had actually noticed that his was wet. And good to know that the hydraulic fan system is not the cause. Well done!

it’s the same mounts as the s-type. gen2 will swap as well

you have like 40 different aftermarket options on rockauto. how long a 20 dollar mount lasts is anybody’s guess

Last edited:
Well depends on what you think is hard I keep it at about 80- 85 because that it where it runs/rides the best less she wanders and more LOL LOL LOL she loves more but I don't just get out there and abuse her. With all the things I have had to replace and still needs some work I don't want to just make issues for myself I want to drive it for a long long time. It's such a great car it is to bad it is plaged with all these problems.

Members online

No members online now.
Back