Koni Rear Shocks (8041-1202 sport)

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a leads on these or a decently priced pair of 2000 COBRA R Bilsteins for the rear?
I would really prefer adjustable shocks if possible.

I'm going to call Koni to see if they have anything close (that may work) with my M8 dropped 2.5 inches.

I know these fit, anyone have these on their M8, wondering of ride harshness?

My research tells me that the Koni's for the Thunderbird are more suited for the M8.

I emailed Koni today, will see what they recommend and let you know.

Koni 8041-1270SP
2000-04 Mustang Cobra with IRS Rear Sport Damper Externally Adjustable

So no one knows of anyone with a pair of Thunderbird rear koni's for sale?

Koni's reply:
Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. The Thunderbird 8041 1202Sport rear shock was discontinued in 2011, so finding a set of those new old stock is very unlikely. The Mustang Cobra rear shocks 8041 1270sport has similar mounting attachments at both the top and bottom, and is approximately the same extended length. However the 8041 1202sport is 2.5” shorter in compressed length compared to the 8041 1270sport. The standard rear mustang shock is 8041 1186sport is .5 longer in extended length compared to the 8041 1202sport, and only .75” longer in compressed length compared to the 8041 1202sport

8041 1202Sport

Extended – 19.2”

Collapsed - 11.8”

8041 1270sport

Extended – 19.09”

Collapsed -14.3”

8041 1186sport

Extended – 19.8”

Collapsed -12.6”

The Koni 8041 1202Sport (ext 19.09" / col 11.8")
is nearly the same spec as the
Monroe Sensa Trac 5950 (ext 19.13" / col 11.88")
which I'm using on my lowered '97 now.

Although the 5950 does a great job providing a nice spirited driving experience with my custom airspring setup, I'm looking for something with a little more firmer compression damping without spending too much. The 5950's rebound is just right but it is a bit more compliant compression-wise especially when driving over those annoying speed bumps placed along our neighborhood. Curious just how the 8041 compression damping compares.

I believe the koni's are much firmer, but I haven't had a pair yet. This is why I want a pair - so I can dial in their firmness - hopefully other members that have them will chime in.

I believe the koni's are much firmer, but I haven't had a pair yet. This is why I want a pair - so I can dial in their firmness - hopefully other members that have them will chime in.
no one has these Koni's on their M8?

pretty sure Kirk does.
just no one is on here nowadays.
and bilsteins take offs are cheap and plentiful and i would never get around to adjusting them so, bilsteins for me.

pretty sure Kirk does.
just no one is on here nowadays.
and bilsteins take offs are cheap and plentiful and i would never get around to adjusting them so, bilsteins for me.
Thanks Chris, can you send me Kirk's email? Where is everyone nowadays, please do not say facebook.
The cheapest I saw the bilsteins is $134 usd for used, the Illumina electronic adjustable were only $135 at Summit Racing a couple days ago. So |I would rather put new, than used. I called last week and they said they had a decent # left, so I was waiting and today their site says not available.

2003 - 2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA BILSTEIN REAR SHOCKS SKU# KK106 | eBay

Update: I found new Bilstein B6 Street and B8 Street, Autocross/Track for $99
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...odel=Mustang+Cobra&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

Still I would really like a switch and driver adjustable shocks from soft to firm right from the driver seat.

Last edited:
Anyone have a leads on these or a decently priced pair of 2000 COBRA R Bilsteins for the rear?
I would really prefer adjustable shocks if possible.

I'm going to call Koni to see if they have anything close (that may work) with my M8 dropped 2.5 inches.
Would t bird monroe gasmatics work?, The price is excellent low cost

they would but I'm looking for an adjustable shock. I would really like one I could adjust while driving like the Thunderbird Super Coupe shocks. I just missed purchasing these from Summit Racing.

I ran the Monroe shocks w/o any issues. Might be a tad on the soft side, and can be noisy if you have padding/dampening material removed. I removed the bracket on the M8 for upper shock mount and ran 2 large, cupped washers squishing 2 rubber stops together over/under the large silver dollar-sized factory hole from Ford, and never had issues with it moving. Was super cheap bypassing the upper bracket. Think I went with a '98 Thunderbird shock, and everything I needed to bypass was reused from the new shock (rubber bumpers, washers, and something from the factory set up I can't remember).

Members online

No members online now.
Back