Know nuthin need help

5.7sbc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Got 2 12'' Volfenhag 1000W ZX4712 Dual Voice Coil subs
-500 W RMS
-4Ohm per coil
Got nothing else but the box and some crap wire . . . what do I need . . . I know I need an amp but what would everyone else use? Should I get a capacitor? I was thinking I would need sumthin round 2000W w/ 2 channels?
Any suggestions?

Well, you'll need some decent speaker wire to run that much power to your subs so most likely you'll want to get that 2000W amp so you can run your speaks efficiently and really damn loud. Along with teh amp you almost deffinetly will need a capacitor because of the draw on the eletrical system and a high quality 2 to 0 guage wiring kit for your amp. not sure about the 0 guage kits cause i've only heard of 2 guage so that should be just fine.

What's your budget like?

I found a relatively cheap installation kit here on eBay.

You can find the actual speaker wire at Walmart. 18 feet of 12-gauge wire was only $13 last time I checked.

With amps, it's generally a good idea to go slightly higher in RMS watts than the sub is rated.

The subs you have are dual voice coil subs, and each voice coil is rated at 4 ohms. So, you have a total of four 4 ohm voice coils.

You can go with 1 amp to power both subs by wiring everything in parallel. That amp should do 1200 or more RMS watts at 1 ohm.

Just wire all four "+" terminals on the subs to the "+" terminal on the amp, and all four "-" sub terminals to the "-" on the amp.

You have many choices to go with. I have an Orion brand amp in my car.

Here's one that will work for your setup.

Whatever you decide to get, make sure it's a mono amp.

5.7sbc said:
...I was thinking I would need sumthin round 2000W...
The subwoofers you chose peak at 1000 watts, which means they'll handle 1000 watts for a brief period of time, like during a drum hit. RMS is the power they'll handle for a sustained period of time.

You said the subs are 500 watts RMS, so use that to choose what amp to get. Oh, and make sure you choose the amp based on its own RMS power too.

5.7sbc said:
...w/ 2 channels?
No, use 1 channel for subs. It doesn't matter if you are using 1 sub or 6.

This isn't like the panel speakers in your passenger compartment where you have a seperate left and right channel to give you stereo sound. There is generally no left and right side for subs, so there's no need for multiple channels.

(Sure you could do seperate left and right channels, but honestly I don't seen the point; it's going to be in your trunk, after all).

Get a mono amp.

he can get some very clean and sustained power from a JL audio amp. Be it the 500/1 or 1000/1 depending on his budget. Make sure you power wiring is at least 4guage for this type of amp with a 1 or 2 farad capacitor.
I am currently running in my 88 LSC 2 12' JL 12W3V2 D4 on a memphis 2 channel power reference 300.2 sounds great for now but i will be putting all memphis audio in this car and the next lincoln i buy i will be putting the 2 JL 12's plus a 3rd on the JL 1000/1 ..so i am saying make sure your budget isnt bigger than your pockets.

88 LSC to be running 2 -12" Memphis Mojo's--1 Power Reference 300.2

On second thought that 1000/1 may blow those speakers u have. try the 500/1 there both class D mono block amps so u can run your subs to there own plugs..

If you want to go on Craigslist.org and do a search in your area or state in electronics for anyone selling a decent Class D. Amp.

Well if I go with a mono amp and wire my subs in parrellel I will have only 1ohm . . . Do I understand correctly that mono subs will handle only 1ohm? Also what is a "line out converter"?

Ok, got another question . . . what size speaker should I use to replace the rears?(the ones in the rear lid)

I have 6X9's in my side it takes some custom work to get them to fit but normally peple go with 5X7's which are the factory size speakers all around the car

Members online

No members online now.
Back