Kill switch

red baron

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anybody put a battery kill switch in there LS . Will i have to reset everything when i shut it off ? Is there a better option than this. Lost one car to a thief friday night and would hate to see the ls get taken . Thanks in advance for any imput.

Has anybody put a battery kill switch in there LS . Will i have to reset everything when i shut it off ? Is there a better option than this. Lost one car to a thief friday night and would hate to see the ls get taken . Thanks in advance for any imput.

Move the seat all the way forward, pull the fuse in the trunk. Then only a little person can steal it.

Do you have the only LS that doesn't have an alarm? If you install a switch that disconnects the battery, it will clear codes after ten minutes and the car will have to learn all over again. You generally don't have enough data stored to pass an emissions exam; you need varied driving at varied speeds, 50 miles at least I think.

Installing a hidden switch that disables starting would have the security you seek.

If you don't have remote start, then they will not be able to start it without one of your keys. The only way around that would be with a good scan tool, and they would have to sit and wait in the car for at least ten minutes for the procedure to unlock the PCM. If they are willing to do that, a battery kill switch certainly wouldn't stop them. The PATS that the car has is already about as much security as you could hope for.

If you disconnect your battery all the time, then your mileage and driveablity will be bad. (The PCM will be in learn mode most of the time.)

as joe mentioned, the car already has a type of kill switch built in(best yet is that you dont need to do anything to use it), killing the battery every time you walk away doesn't really make the car any harder to steal, it only makes it a pain in your ass to deal with the car needing everything programmed back. even the best alarm can only hope to make more noise to deter a thief from trying. now matter how many ways you have set to disable the engine or its systems, its still just as easy to go up and tow the car away. the one benefit to the alarm I have is that since I can control my car with a phone app, I can also track it on a map in real time. so if the car was taken, I can find it right away.

If you don't have remote start,

I've been wondering about that one, having a transponder bypass already in the car...

I'm guessing if it's not an OEM RS, they just use a powered transponder when needed? Or do some tap into the transponder reader's wires to mimic the response it's looking for?

If you want a simple kill switch, wire a relay into the fuel pump power wire. Use a switch to control the relay. Even if they do all the work needed to steal one, they'd still need to find the fuel pump cutoff.

I've been wondering about that one, having a transponder bypass already in the car...

I'm guessing if it's not an OEM RS, they just use a powered transponder when needed? Or do some tap into the transponder reader's wires to mimic the response it's looking for?

depends on the system, even OEM systems use a powered transponder bypass.

some bypasses just have a key placed inside of them and have a antenna ring that get mounted near the OEM transponder antenna ring, some of them have an internal transponder chip inside and tap into the wires at the PATS harness to transmit the signal.

the most basic RS systems could be used to start the car, either by triggering the RS system and finding out which wire to ground by on the bypass to activate it.

a good RS system with security (car alarm) and a good bypass will not make it any easier to steal over the factory, the bypass will communicate with the RS system by data (cant ground a wire to activate) it and the system cant be activated externally without the remote (usually the same location as the key itself)

Let's re-invent the wheel said PAT With Perimeter Anti-Theft ... it's not going to start without that specially matched chip in your key as Joe already mentioned. They might be able to break into but it's not going anywhere. Have a look at your ignition key, see that Lincoln logo, embedded inside is a chip that matches to the console on start, thus that fancy little blinking red light on your dash, AKA PAT. No Match, no Start!

There is also a known no start condition due to too much crap hanging off your key chain, warns to keep it somewhat free of interfering nonsense.

There is also a known no start condition due to too much crap hanging off your key chain, warns to keep it somewhat free of interfering nonsense.

Particularly, other PATS keys, even for the same car

It's actually Passive Anti-Theft System. It has no interaction with the Perimeter alarm.

Yes, PAT With Perimeter Anti-Theft, thus ... "They might be able to break into but it's not going anywhere."

I dont know why, but it drives me crazy when people say "the PATS system"

'VIN Number' gets me.

PIN number, ATM machine, plenty of other things. I don't mind some of them because it identifies the acronym, whereas asking "what's your PIN?" can be confusing at first, since PIN isn't really a common word. Shirt pin? Favorite wrestling hold? PIN by itself can also be misheard or not understood out of the blue, making you repeat it. If it's pronounced as just letters, though, you probably don't need to even think about what an ATM is.

But that's just my take on it. Naturally, I can't think of any other good examples.

'VIN Number' gets me.

And of course, the calvary is never coming to your rescue and you prolly knew that.
If you live in a black neighborhood, the Calvary may come and pray on you.[emoji48]

Calvary, Cavalry, Calgary. One of these is where Jesus was crucified. One of them had horses and tanks. One of these is the largest city in Alberta, Canada.

Calvary, Cavalry, Calgary. One of these is where Jesus was crucified. One of them had horses and tanks. One of these is the largest city in Alberta, Canada.

Where is the LIKE button on here?

Has anybody put a battery kill switch in there LS . Will i have to reset everything when i shut it off ?

I wanted to answer your questions: I did not put it in but the previous owner put a keyed battery disconnect in the car. It is about 12" from the battery on the negative wire. If I recall correctly you will have to reset some things on the factory radio; your sound tuning (balance/fade bass/treb) gets reset but the station program list did not change and the seat position presets should also remain.

Members online

Back