Kid in a hyundai tiburon punked me down

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Why would Lincoln owners even know or care about these cars. Take it to a different board.
Take a look at your board settings. Something must be wrong. Under your name it's showing "full member" instead of "moderator".

beaups said:
They are still 2 separate companies.. sort of, depending on how you look at it. They are 36% owned by Hyundai. I am 99% sure they still trade under 2 separate tickers each with their own financials.

If by trading under seperate symbols means seperate, yes you are correct. Last I saw Hyundai owned around 39% of KIA and was the largest shareholder of record. But they do share engineering design and manufacturing facilities such as Hyundai KIA America Technical Center. Very similar to the situation with Ford and Mazda with Ford owing about 29% of Mazda and having joint ventures like AAI in Flat Rock Michigan.

The point is that there is a controling interest, a commonality of production facilities, as well as design and engineering.

As somebody suggested earlier as Ford is to Mazda, they you have to be able to say as KIA is to Hyundai

I agree with that. What I don't agree with is the statement "Kia is Hyundai". That would mean (to me) a simple nameplate marketing setup like Ford/Lincoln/Mercury etc.

beaups said:
I agree with that. What I don't agree with is the statement "Kia is Hyundai". That would mean (to me) a simple nameplate marketing setup like Ford/Lincoln/Mercury etc.

WHAT?

Are you saying that Ford, Lincoln and Mercury are owned by the same company?

;)

Why take talking about other cars to another board? I am a LS owner yes, but I am not close-minded to just this car, I would take a Tiburon if it was possible, that is my kind of style. I like many different cars. As for Hyundai reliability to Lincoln, based on my Hyundai friends and what I see on here, the Lincoln seems to have more things that go wrong or do not work like they should compared to what I have heard from Hyundai owners.

I do not see how having a Lincoln makes us better than others, some just do not have the money or do not realize how easy getting one is. I atfirst thought I would never have an LS but I looked into it more and realized they are no more expensive than a new Civic(used Lincoln).

And what I meant about how Hyundai and KIA are the same is the fact that they use the same styles and parts, nothing to do w/ the ownership part but just how easy its to see the sameness in for instance: The Sonata and Optima. I do agree both like to steal designs, I thought stoled or honda sold Hyundai the older Accord style due to how close they look lol.

TheRebel said:
Was Kia affiliated with Ford in the late 90's?

Yes...they built the Festiva for Ford.

EDIT: That was late 80s early 90s. I can't remember for sure, but they may have also had a hand in the Aspire.

Beamer said:
I atfirst thought I would never have an LS but I looked into it more and realized they are no more expensive than a new Civic(used Lincoln).

i'm kinda young (23) and people often question how i can afford such a car. i find that odd since i'm not 16 but that's exactly the line i use and they shut up.

i'm exposed to a lot of german cars and compared to them the LS does not stand up. next car is german or jap.

I buy american.(period)

almost all of my friends are car guys. They have BMWs, Audi, Subaru, Pontiac, Chevy, Lincoln, Ford, VW, Honda etc...

All of them have had problems, Especially Audi (I know 3 people with them and all three have grown to hate them).

any way you cut it, its a car... stuff goes wrong or breaks or wears out, doesnt matter if it was built in korea or japan or canada.

Drive what you can afford or what turns your key.

I used to get all high and mighty about my Grand Prix and try to be all Anti rice (JAP).... until I got smoked at the track by a civic.. then taken down by a VW a couple months later... Anything can be made fast, so buy what you like... I give respect to anyone that got it going quick.

I have seen seen a Mustang smoke a Viper at the track..... :D I got a picture somewhere around here... and yes the Mustang was modded and set up for Drag Racing. :D

LuxurySport00 said:
i'm kinda young (23) and people often question how i can afford such a car. i find that odd since i'm not 16 but that's exactly the line i use and they shut up.

i'm exposed to a lot of german cars and compared to them the LS does not stand up. next car is german or jap.

Well I was 21 when I got my LS(going on 23 soon).

I respect almost all cars too aslong as the owner is not a a-hole and thinks their type of car is the best(like a few LS owners I know). I used to be against the imports too but after opening my mind and realizing that not all are weak and "riced out" for the looks I began to like them. I would actually love a '99 or '00 Civic SI or the new one hehe.

I think foreign cars have always been thought to have better overall residual value, performance, and durability by most car buyers other than the 'necks who won't look at anything that doesn't say "Made in America" even though most of the carson the road are comprised of parts made and assembled all over the world.

Cars like the Mitsubish Eclipse and the Eagle Talon for instance...pretty much the exact same thing only the Eclipse "eclipsed" the Talon in terms of annual sales. This may have been caused by the fact the AWD Talon had a turbo option and was a lot more expensive opposed to the Eclipse's 2.0L. I think that like carb daddy said...all cars break down. But I do think some cars are better than others in terms of longevity and residual value, this may not even be due to the car itself...it could just be the misled opinion of the majority that causes the car to retain its value (like with the audi...thought to be one of the safest cars on the road).

And on a side note...I've seen a civic light up a Viper...and I mean light up...it wasn't even close...3-4 car lengths by the 1/4 mile...this civic was running 10s easy...

And finally...last year GM had 55% of its sales OUTSIDE the U.S according to CNN. This tells you either that more foreigners are buying cars (which is true) and/or that people outside the U.S. respect American cars more than Americans (which is pure speculation and probably not true)...

Next time some punk wippersnapper start saying how fast his car is and how hes gunna smoke your LS. you find your self a really curvy road and race him down that. It wont make a difference what his top end is around those corners. The LS loves twisties and Its got enuff getup and go to move in a short staitaway.

This is what I like to call leveling the playing field.

One of these days Im going to take a course and learn how to drift with this car?

to tell you the truth I havent had anything really "smoke" me yet in the lincoln. most of the time its more like a neck and neck scenario and Ill Ive done to this car is the exhaust.

What year was the Tib by the way, I know someone who has the 06 I think with the turbo or what ever it is. It was pretty fast but nothing to brag about.

Members online

No members online now.
Back