Keyless Entry on the fritz?

85VicWagonGuy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Maybe 20% of the time, my 98 Deville seems dead. Won't open for the keyless entry remote.

If I open the door with the key... still dead. No power locks, etc.

If I turn the ignition to accessory or ON... presto! Back to life.

What's going on?????

When is the last time you changed the battery??

Not sure, but how is that the issue?

When the key is turned to ON, problem solved... the car "wakes up" and all is well.

Never had trouble starting it. It just seems to go into "sleep mode" sometimes and won't respond to the keyless entry remote. Until the key is turned to ON, you can't run any electrical accessories, windows, locks, etc.

probably a broken RKE module

I think what the guy was asking was "when was the last time you changed the dime-sized battery inside the remote keyfob." That could have everything to do with it.

I have the same trouble with my 91 Deville Touring Sedan, the first year Cadillac introduced this novel option on its vehicles; its inop until I'm in the car, doors closed, engine running...which renders its convenience function useless. Dealership told me it was the RKE module that needed replacement...sometimes on these cars...or really any brand or model, this module "forgets" its combination/code and/or can't receive it or read it as its being transmitted from the keyfob. Not cheap to fix either...$400 installed including new keys for my 91, probably a lot more for a newer model.

thanks jody, that was the question.

if not the battery in the remote, then the keyless system has gone kaput - then just get a DEI brand replacement

Ok.

But that's not the issue either.

When the keyless doesn't do anything... I open the door with the key. Car is dead. No overhead lights, nothing.

Turn ignition to ON... bam... car is alive again.

this going to sound like a strange question, but do you get the same thing if you open the passenger door?

Also, do notice the domelight staying on at all when its not supposed to?

Interesting. I think someone else has the same thought, maybe the door position sensor. Also note that the dome light should only come on if it's dark out.

If the car thinks the door is always closed or always open I could see you having this as a result. Just something to think about.

On my 93 Brougham I had a problem with this so the locks, alarm, windows and a few other things didn't work or didn't work corectly because the car thought the drivers door was open.

The statement about this being introduced in 91' may not be completely true. My 89 STS has all that crap.

Strange, I know but hey it is a Cadillac..

Check the car's battery. I had a Dodge Ram that would shut off all power to the truck if the voltage got too low while parked, like if a light was on or something. Once the ignitioned was turned, the power was restored. This prevented the battery from draining to the point that the car wouldn't start. Once my battery started going, it would happen frequently. New battery, never did it again.

Pepsi2185 said:
this going to sound like a strange question, but do you get the same thing if you open the passenger door?

Also, do notice the domelight staying on at all when its not supposed to?

Will try the passenger door next time it locks up.

Domelight never says on like that.

codewize said:
Interesting. I think someone else has the same thought, maybe the door position sensor. Also note that the dome light should only come on if it's dark out.

Yes, but one night when the keyless woudn't work... I opened the car with the key... 4 of us got in the car... and I said "anyone else notice that there's no light in the car???"

That was back when we first had this happen.

crazyman said:
Check the car's battery. I had a Dodge Ram that would shut off all power to the truck if the voltage got too low while parked, like if a light was on or something. Once the ignitioned was turned, the power was restored. This prevented the battery from draining to the point that the car wouldn't start. Once my battery started going, it would happen frequently. New battery, never did it again.

Hmmm. Maybe the door position sensor is tricking the computer into thinking the door is open... so the computer cuts the juice.

Thanks.

Keyless Entry

85VicWagonGuy said:
Maybe 20% of the time, my 98 Deville seems dead. Won't open for the keyless entry remote.

What's going on?????

Hey I have the same problem with 98 deville concourse and the dealer been trying to fix it for a year know and can't find out the problem there trying to say it's because I have an aftermarket radio so I just ordered the stock radio and its going back to the dealer next week if you found out what the problem was can you please let me know what it is if my car gets fixed i'll let you know what the problem is

keyless entry

85VicWagonGuy said:

What's going on?????

I just put the stock stereo back in my car on saterday i'v been testing it to see if my car still has this problem did your car start before the aftermarket stereo was put in? Does it have any other problems?

This is so frustrating- have to sleep at work b/c I can't get the stupid engine started.

Basically, unlocked doors on '95 Deville with keyless, and tried to start engine, but the 'security' light came on and the engine wouldn't start. So I tried locking, then unlocking with the fob, but still no avail. Then came back 30 minutes later, still no luck. And now, none of the power equipment works, but I didn't leave any lights on, so how can the battery be low?

Arrgh.

Also, there's this red light/button and black button beneath the dashboard that blinks when I lock the door- right now, it's on permanent flashing mode. Anyone know how to disable it?

Hello all, this is my first post, I am excited to be a part of LVC and hope to make some new friends here.

I think I have the same problem as 85VicWagonGuy.
I just bought a 99 deville in pheonix. Drove it to the hotel, let it sit about 3 hours. Tried to unlock doors using keyless entry, nothing. So I used the key to unlock the drivers door, reached in to hit the door lock button on the inside of the door, nothing. Said hmmm.
So the first thing I think is dead battery(car). I put the key in and start to turn it, horns starts sounding and lights flash. So I turn the key off and the horns and lights stop as well. I notice a ticking sound, like a relay or something coming from behind the drivers seat "somewhere" I could not find.
Also the lights in the door(window switch lights, etc..) flickerd irratically to the beat of this ticking. Then it would stop. The same as when you shut the doors and the dome lights stay on for a bit...That is what I observed.
The car will start, with horns sounding and lights flashing. So I dismissed my idea of the cars battery to be the cause, since the car would "come alive" when I turned the key.
I was stuck in pheonix with an appearing to be stolen cadillac.
So I start unhooking horns. Got all the horns disconnected and started it up and drove it down the freeway a few miles. Problem went away,, keyless worked again, door lock buttons on door worked again, horns and headlights stopped sounding and flashing, irratic twinkle of light in the door stopped. I have no Idea if I did it or not as I was pushing buttons all over the place...lol

That was last night.. Now I am searching for an answer.. I have found so far that this might be due to a low car battery(saving itself for the startup as crazymans dodge did to him) or it might be something to do with the aftermarket stereo installed.

I would really like to hear back from awaxx14 to see if the problem is cured with the factory stereo installed.

Please, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Back