Key remote problems...

Icewood

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So yesterday, as I'm leaving my house to get in the car I try and unlock it and the the key remote doesn't seem to be doing its job. I figure the batteries must be dead so I unlock the car w/ the key , get in , go to the nearest radioshack, purchase a batterie and put it in. Now I leave radioshack and as I'm walking towards my car hitting the damn unlock button the remote still isn't doing anything. I try it a few more times and still nothing.

Has anybody ever had this problem before with their remote, and how were you able to fix it...??

You could try buying you some new remotes on ebay. I was wanting to do that because i bought my car used from an individual and he didn't have it. But these are selling for cheap on ebay the only thing is that you will have to get them programed by the dealership or a locksmith. I haven't called for a quote yet so im not sure how much it would really cost. I'd like to have the keyless remote im tired of using my key everytime my alarm goes off. I might as well get a better aftermarket alarm system with remote start. That's the only thing i can think of maybe the remote just stopped working on you. Like i said ebay get one for like 5 bucks, it's cheap and it might work...

I think when you replce the battery you also need to reprogram the remote.

On my 2004, you also need to make sure you ALWAYS have at least one working remote since you need one for the computer to compare the new one with, I would guess.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I think when you replace the battery you also need to reprogram the remote.

On my 2004, you also need to make sure you ALWAYS have at least one working remote since you need one for the computer to compare the new one with, I would guess.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Sorry Jim, on 2004 changing the battery does not deprogram the remote.

To reprogram you must have all remotes(max 4)and program thru the key ignition thru a series of on and off.

The information for changing the battery and reprogramming the remotes is on page 145 of the 2004 owners manual available from the TECH ARTICLES at top of page.

You might be thinking about programing keys where you need at least 2 keys.

2003+ you can program yourself.
That doesn't help Icewood; he has a 1st Gen (you can tell by the headlights and the washer nozzles on the hood). The Dealer has to program his remotes, and he needs all of the remotes. As I understand it, it's because the programming process wipes out the stored remotes from the computer's memory, and it has to be "told" about them all again.

Sorry Jim, on 2004 changing the battery does not deprogram the remote.
Absolutely correct. From the 2004 Owner's Guide:
Note: Replacement of the battery will not cause the remote transmitter to become deprogrammed from your vehicle. The remote transmitter should operate normally after battery replacement.
I've never had a Ford keyless entry remote that would become "unprogrammed" if you replaced the battery.

Members online

No members online now.
Back