Key programming

lincoln1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, the keys for the '01 Continental were lost, to make a long story short, I had to replace the column and with it came w/2 keys and a fob. In order to get them programmed, is there anything else I need?

Hello, the keys for the '01 Continental were lost, to make a long story short, I had to replace the column and with it came w/2 keys and a fob. In order to get them programmed, is there anything else I need?
From memory, the dealer will have to program the fob. I believe I read at one time that 2 fobs already programmed are needed to program more without dealer help. I found this out about a decade ago when I purchased new fobs because my car at the time only had one. I believe you also might need the dealer to program the key to work with the PATS system these cars have. Did you try to start it after the column change? That red light on the top of the dash will reveal for you if there is a PATS problem. If you've already gotten it running with different column then you'll need the dealer to program the fob, unless a locksmith in your area has the tool to program it.

Assuming that the Continental was like most Fords of the time, I think you are using the term Fob when you really mean PATS key. You can use Forscan to program new keys if you don't have to working (already programmed) keys to start with.

Assuming that the Continental was like most Fords of the time, I think you are using the term Fob when you really mean PATS key. You can use Forscan to program new keys if you don't have to working (already programmed) keys to start with.

If the “new” column has the electronic signal receiver attached to it, and the “new” keys are the ones that came with the column it SHOULD work. The key(s) sends a signal to electronic signal receiver . If the electronic signal receiver on the column recognizes the key – it should turn off the PATS and allow the car to start.

The Conti's have remote FOBs.
Mine has 2 FOBs – each one can be programmed differently - for Driver#1 or Driver#2, to change seat position, mirror position etc.
When I got my '02 it only had the Driver#1 FOB. I found a #2 FOB on ebay.
I used a “key dance” out of the owners manual to program FOB#2 into the PATS.

The manual says you can have up to 4 FOBs programmed into the PATS system.

My thanks to all. num1bigguy: I have yet to try to start without programming, I'll look for dash light, thanks. FlaOkie: The keys work in the column. By electronic signal receiver, do you mean the small black box underneath the ignition lock? Yes, I will try to start. Thanks again.

My thanks to all. num1bigguy: I have yet to try to start without programming, I'll look for dash light, thanks. FlaOkie: The keys work in the column. By electronic signal receiver, do you mean the small black box underneath the ignition lock? Yes, I will try to start. Thanks again.
It has been a while since I screwed around with the keys/PATS.
As I recall---
The transceiver is the black box under the ignition switch. It has a black ring attached to it that goes around the ignition switch. This transceiver sends power to the key, and then reads the code in the key.

The transceiver then sends the code in the key to the instrument cluster, where the key codes are stored.
If the codes are the same, the PATS will allow the car to start. Since the codes in the cluster won't match the "new" key's code, my guess is the car won't start. The "new" key code will have to be programmed into the instrument cluster.
I think all this is correct - but don't ask for your money back if it isn't.

A previous Conti that I owned had an intermittent PATS issue. I found that when I turned the key on before engaging starter if the PATS was going to be an issue the red light on the dash would flash quickly. That car required me to lower steering wheel 1 detent and it worked every time. That's the only reason I asked if you'd tried to start it. If the PATS wasn't going to be an issue then that red light on top of the dash would would turn on. I could be wrong but the fuel pump on that car wouldn't turn on if the light was flashing.

Update: Well, I finally tried to start it. It cranks, but won't start. The red dash light blinks. I guessing I will have to get the keys programmed?, OR maybe it has a code problem? Also, the instrument cluster says something like "rear suspension disabled", I did replace the rear suspension air bags with coil springs, could this contribute to the problem? Thanks in advance.

Push the "RESET" button on the instrument cluster - that should clear the suspension error.
The suspension error and the starting problem are two different unrelated issues.
If I recall correctly - a good locksmith should be able to get into the PATS and clear old stored key codes and put in new ones.

If the switch in the trunk is turned off, that's why you get that error for the suspension. I know there was a wire I could terminate in my older Mark VIII when the air ride was removed, I would think the continental is similar.

Thanks, num1bigguy. I just remembered before I started to crank, I forgot I had disconnected the crankshaft sensor and it wouldn't crank. It did crank only after I reconnected it. This seems odd to me because what does it have to with starting system? Thank in advance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back