Key Broke in Ignition

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay - so pretty straight forward; key broke off in the ignition. I'll be swapping it over to push button start soon so the key will only OFF/ACC power. But I still need a reliable source until then, I have a spare key. So my question is; how do I get the old broken key out? It's in there pretty good. Thanks for reading!

When's the last time you unlocked the door with the key when you have both the transmitter and the door keypad? I don't think I've done it once in 4 years.

When's the last time you unlocked the door with the key when you have both the transmitter and the door keypad? I don't think I've done it once in 4 years.

A very valid point, I suppose I could just toss a hide a key of the original one for the door locks somewhere. But! I want to hook up the new one so it only has off/acc power and install a button for ignition. Any tips there?

take the new ignition cylinder and old key to a locksmith.
he should be able to rekey them.

It's like every other Ford of that era. Turn the tumbler to ACC and on the underneath of the steering column, right underneath the tumbler, will be a hole and a recessed pin in that hole. Find something long and thin like an allen key to depress it and simultaneously pull the cylinder out. Put in the new tumbler. Done.

It's like every other Ford of that era. Turn the tumbler to ACC and on the underneath of the steering column, right underneath the tumbler, will be a hole and a recessed pin in that hole. Find something long and thin like an allen key to depress it and simultaneously pull the cylinder out. Put in the new tumbler. Done.

I'll give it a try, if I run into problems - I'll let y'all know.

Okay - so I did run into problems. I put the ignition cylinder in exactly as instructed. It turns the car on and off - but I CANNOT take the key out. It comes out when the tumbler is out, but as soon as it's in and turn it off, it's like the key is welded in place. Won't budge - I work at a resort as a lifeguard and would really not like my keys stuck in the ignition cylinder when there's strangers walking by it. I can't lock it - because the alarm goes off. I can drive, turn on ACC, start it. But as soon as it's off - they're stuck. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.
Back