Kenwood DDX 7017 Install

Fastbird

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
If you guys aren't familiar, it's a double din in-dash 6.5" screen dvd player. I've gotten one for my wife for Christmas. Referencing a previous thread where a user here installed a DDX 7015, I have some questions that you guys may be able to help me with:

Where can I get a double din install kit that fits our beloved LS's??

Wiring harness, same question.

I'm planning on doing the install myself as wiring isn't a big thing for me, but the install kit is where I'm going to get stuck and don't want to pay a shop for a "custom" install.

Thanks for the help, as always!

do a search here on the forum. there are guys selling the face for the nav system that you can dremel out to use as a double din setup. $35 I think.

beaups said:
do a search here on the forum. there are guys selling the face for the nav system that you can dremel out to use as a double din setup. $35 I think.

I thought about that too, but isn't that only in silver??

you can easily paint it. the model paint that you buy @ walmart (spray) is PERFECT for jobs like this.

trust me the paint works GREAT. looks very professional. I used to to PC's w/it all the time. Let me know and I'll send you the brand and UPC # I use.

beaups said:
you can easily paint it. the model paint that you buy @ walmart (spray) is PERFECT for jobs like this.

I wasn't sure if that would come out ok or not. It's worth a shot.

FWIW, I think what I'm going to do is try to find another stock stereo and cut the faceplate for it out to fit an Explorer double din mounting kit, and use the factory mounting brackets. At least I think that's the M.O. after some detailed searching around I did.

The guys here with the black face plate are using the face plate off an old radio and cutting it to fit. I bought two old radios off eBay for next to nothing and gave them to my son so he could make his. It was very easy. You just need to be careful so you don't slip and ruin the face plate...it get's a little close to the edges in a spot. (hence the reason I bought two)

2001LS8Sport said:
The guys here with the black face plate are using the face plate off an old radio and cutting it to fit. I bought two old radios off eBay for next to nothing and gave them to my son so he could make his. It was very easy. You just need to be careful so you don't slip and ruin the face plate...it get's a little close to the edges in a spot. (hence the reason I bought two)

Good to hear. That's exactly what my plan was to do. Thanks!

yeah thats what you should do... get a stereo off ebay... duh i should have thought about that before i cut mine....

Well......got a DDX-8017 off of eBay brand new for $1100 overnight shipped. This thing is freaking sweet!!!! I can't wait to give it to my wife so she can let me install it.

Members online

Back