K&N Installation help ASAP please! :)

Ghaleon64

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Installing K&N Typhoon today and have a problem. Apart from ending up with a few extra parts (I guess the T-Bird compartments differ after all) I'm stuck with a hose problem. In the instructions it says this vacuum line is rubber. It ain't. It's plastic. And it won't separate from the nozzle I need to install onto the NEW actual rubber hose. Here's a pic. I've already busted the hose trying to get this bit off with no luck and have cut my hands a good 4 times. Any tips?

Also, the rear seats fold down, right? I just realized I closed my trunk with the battery disconnected... Should be a manual release in there, correct? God I hope so... I guess I'll go find out while I await responses. :)

Thanks all!

100_1272.jpg

No luck on the folding seats. Yeah, let's put the battery in the trunk then put the rear seat latches... In the trunk. Brilliant idea, Ford. What the heck are people supposed to do when their battery dies?

Is there a way I can jump the car enough to get the trunk open? Are there battery terminals under the hood at all?

Anyone?

Another gripe real fast, just to get it off my chest... Why won't the freaking KEY open the trunk if the battery's dead?! AAAUUGGHH!!

The battery was put in the rear for weight distribution purpsoes. As far as a jumping point, I believe under the inner front passenger wheel liner area is a point at which you can give power enough to open toy trunk. It is not, a point to try and jump the car itself though.

My key opens my trunk. I just had a dead battery last Thursday morning and used my key to open the trunk.

I put the key in the trunk latch. Turn key. Nuthin'. Like it's a key-enabled electronic lock? WTF is that?

Wait, I assumed your keys were in the trunk and that is why you were upset. We had a similar situation like that posted recently. My key worked to open my trunk just fine when the battery went dead.

I put the key in the trunk latch. Turn key. Nuthin'. Like it's a key-enabled electronic lock? WTF is that?

Shoot man, I'm not sure what's up with that. I wonder if the year or Gen make a difference on that.

I'm getting nothing. Key turns 90 degrees, stops, trunk still locked. I'm at a loss.

Okay....now go to my original post in response to your inquiry

Lol, yeah, I think that's the plan... Just waiting for my other half to get home so I can wire it up... Any good way to remove those splash guards without breaking them? Do they just snap in place? I can't really see much behind the wheel when it's parked.

But still, the MAIN inquiry was how to fix that hose. :)

I would think there are just push type plastic connectors holding it in place. Not sure what to say on the hose issue.

Got the hose issue fixed. :)

I just cut the plastic hose off up to the tip of the connection and put the new rubber hose over the old plastic one. It's a snug fit but pretty air tight, and that's what matters!

Thanks fellas! Guess I'll go take off some splash guards now. And hopefully not cause any more problems... :D

No luck on the folding seats. Yeah, let's put the battery in the trunk then put the rear seat latches... In the trunk. Brilliant idea, Ford. What the heck are people supposed to do when their battery dies?

Anyone?

Use you key to open it.

As far as the hose goes, I believe you should use an emissions rated hose because the heat and oil from the valve cover area may cause a normal rubber hose to fail eventually.

As far as the hose goes, I believe you should use an emissions rated hose because the heat and oil from the valve cover area may cause a normal rubber hose to fail eventually.

The hose is included with the kit and designed to be used with it.

I tried using my keys folks, I did state that... Neither of them did anything. So either the 06's have some weird electronic lock that's activated by turning the key or my lock is just broken. No idea either way.

But about the hose, I used the hose that came in the kit. I'm sure it should be fine.

But I got her hooked up, got the battery connected (finally) and just took her out! Sounds MEAN! And sexy. Even though it took almost my whole day, I'm quite pleased. And glad I didn't need to call a locksmith. :D

Got into the passenger wheel well and hooked another car up with jumper cables to the + terminal in there. Glad that's there, I tell ya...

But yeah, even after getting my car hooked back up I tried opening the trunk with my key. No luck. It must be broken.

Though I'm glad that terminal is in there, I must admit: I'd much rather have it under the hood somewhere...

I tried using my keys folks, I did state that... Neither of them did anything. So either the 06's have some weird electronic lock that's activated by turning the key or my lock is just broken. No idea either way....

Absolutely not. The trunk lock is mechanical. Yours must be broken or keyed wrong. Let's put this nonsense about the trunk lock being electric (when you put the key in the trunk) to rest. Now that you have the battery connected, please go out and use your key in the trunk lock again. If it didn't work before, it still won't work now.

At work, did a quick read and not sure if your hose question got answered.

I ran into the same problem. I tried ti slip the elbow of the hose and its nearly impossible. I used a hacksaw and scribed a diagonal line across the hose that's over the elbow. Got down into it pretty good until I began reaching the elbow. I then used a flat head screw driver and split the plastic hose by inserting it into the scribe and turning it. Either way, you'll end up spliting the hose.

That's what I did. Not sure how else it can be done.

But yeah, even after getting my car hooked back up I tried opening the trunk with my key. No luck. It must be broken.

There it is Joe. Again, I DID say that already... And I thought the electronic lock thing was absurd as well but couldn't think of any other reason why my LS was the only one apparently that was different from everyone else's who had working trunk locks. :p So it's just broken, no biggie.

And ya, the hose issue was solved as well, I just cut the plastic tubing as far up to the elbow as I could and put the rubber hose over the end of the elbow with an extra snug fit due to there being an extra layer of tubing. But the rubber hose did fit and it's airtight. So all good there.

Another benefit I've noticed since doing this job is that since I had my battery disconnected and reset my computer, my car now shifts very smoothly into 3rd. :) So maybe it's a good idea to recommend that every one disconnect their batteries if their car shifts hard and try that, my even every once in a while. :D

Members online

Back