Just your run of the mill Valve cover gasket question?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had a few valve cover gasket replacement estimates ....$500 plus to have three different shops do this job ...all of them say it's a four hour job? Is this really a difficult procedure or are they milking this job for every penny? One mechanic who I know has been in business for 45 years said he has done this on several LS's and it's not a easy procedure by any means...also said I will need the some seal in the manifold replaced due to being 17 years old and sure it's hard and brittle which will lead to air leak??? Any thoughts if a average person can perform this ...I did my own plug and COP changes without any problems ...is this a lot more difficult?

Four hours is a fair estimate for both sides. The chances of cracking an aged plastic vacuum tube are fair (not really high, but not low either).

With some reasonable tools, you can do it yourself. If you've never done it before, allow a full weekend to do it just in-case. It's the little things that might make it take a long time. Some of the bolts are hard to get to. It could take an hour or more just to get the dipstick tube back in for example.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Note that those torque values are in inch-pounds, not foot-pounds. You don't really need to use a torque wrench, just use the smallest socket wrench you have. Make the bolts tight enough that they won't vibrate loose. Don't over tighten. Making them tighter will not reduce the chances of any leaks.

Last edited:
Four hours is a fair estimate for both sides. The chances of cracking an aged plastic vacuum tube are fair (not really high, but not low either).

With some reasonable tools, you can do it yourself. If you've never done it before, allow a full weekend to do it just in-case. It's the little things that might make it take a long time. Some of the bolts are hard to get to. It could take an hour or more just to get the dipstick tube back in for example.

Note that those torque values are in inch-pounds, not foot-pounds. You don't really need to use a torque wrench, just use the smallest socket wrench you have. Make the bolts tight enough that they won't vibrate loose. Don't over tighten. Making them tighter will not reduce the chances of any leaks.
Thanks for the response Joe...I'm leaning towards the professionals to tackle this job

also said I will need the some seal in the manifold replaced due to being 17 years old and sure it's hard and brittle which will lead to air leak???

Not sure what this would be. I unbolted the throttle body from the plenum and the rubber gasket was still good at 180k miles. It did half stick to both pieces,,, so I gently peeled it off one. A little spray adhesive will hold it in place for bolt-up. Also... I DID have an o-ring kit lying around,,, so I replaced all of the 0-rings where various tubes clicked on over the nipples they attached to. Most of those plastic tubes are "squeeze to release". I couldn't get one tube off the TB,,, so I just laid the TB back on top of the intake. Gotta pull the TB to get the drivers VC off anyway. Most of what I pulled ended up just laying on the intake.

Pulling the dipstick tube completely isn't necessary unless the o-ring there is leaking. I just pulled mine out a couple inches and truned it 90 degrees out of the way. You WILL need a couple special tools. One is a plactic fuel line disconnector for the fuel line going to the drivers side fuel rail.. You basically slip it on the back side of the barb coming off the fuel rail... and pull it towards you while slightly pushing in on the fuel line.

The driver rear is the worst bolt to get to, (buried under the brake booster). A 10mm short swivel socket is the best way to go... with various lengths of extentions,,, and a universal swivel also, (you'll have various lengths of extensions on both sides of the universal). I used that whole setup on the rear bolts on both sides... since you will be working under the cowl.

You'll probably want a can or two of brake parts cleaner... compressed air... and some of the special Ford quick dry/set RTV permatex for the 4 spots where the VC's mate to the front timing cover. I used copper Permatex,,, but let it dry overnight... but you need a heated space for either sealer to dry properly.

Also... you might want a 1/2" internal copper pipe brush, (any hardware store). Reason is... if there is any dirt or corrosion in the plug wells,,, you don't want to pull the plugs and have that debris fall into the cylinder. I pulled all the coils,,, blew out the plug wells... then ran the pipe brush down along side the plug as far down as I could,,, and rotated "walked" it around each plug... then blew out the plug wells again. Any plug well that had oil in it,,, I took a rag and held it over the top,,, and blew the plug well out. I then filled the plug well with Brake cleaner,,, and blew it out again. Fill... repeat,,, until you get a dry plug well.

Most of the rest of it is straight forward. The drivers side is overall slightly more space restricted,,, but not too bad. Youll need to completely pull the air box,,,, and relocted the powere steering reservoir out of the way, (where the air box was). The most tedious thing for me was pulling all 24 seals per cover,,, and re-installing them Each bolt hole has a barrel sleeve to prevent over compressing the valve cover... and it takes a small scredriver to slip them off and on.

Lastly... as you have probably noticed,,, the o-ring at the oil fill is seeping. I replaced that with the same size new o-ring,,, and it's seeping again. At this point I would recommend that anyone doing this job... put some black RTV in with the o-ring,,, to seal the filler neck tube to the VC. To get the tube off,,, flip the VC over... and you will see 2 tabs that lock the filler neck in place. You puch one tab in and slightly rotate the filler neck until the other tab hits a "stop" in the VC. The push in that 2nd tab and rotate it the rest of the way,,, and the filler neck should pull right out.

Dutch, You seem like you know what you are doing... so as long as you have the tools, (and the heated garage,,, and maybe a backup ride)... pick a weekend and go for it. Take your time,,, be patient... and study everything as you go. Take notes if you have to. Besides... then you'll get to see the internal workings up close and personal. Joe gave you the shop manual... which can be a big help.

Don't think I missed anything... :confused:

Now that I think about it... this is for the V8... and I don't recall which engine you have.

Ohhh.. a super fine scotch brite pad, (or same steel wool) could be gently used to clean up the mating surfaces on the head if necessary. If surfaces feel smooth,,, then don't worry about it.

Not sure what this would be. I unbolted the throttle body from the plenum and the rubber gasket was still good at 180k miles. It did half stick to both pieces,,, so I gently peeled it off one. A little spray adhesive will hold it in place for bolt-up. Also... I DID have an o-ring kit lying around,,, so I replaced all of the 0-rings where various tubes clicked on over the nipples they attached to. Most of those plastic tubes are "squeeze to release". I couldn't get one tube off the TB,,, so I just laid the TB back on top of the intake. Gotta pull the TB to get the drivers VC off anyway. Most of what I pulled ended up just laying on the intake.

Pulling the dipstick tube completely isn't necessary unless the o-ring there is leaking. I just pulled mine out a couple inches and truned it 90 degrees out of the way. You WILL need a couple special tools. One is a plactic fuel line disconnector for the fuel line going to the drivers side fuel rail.. You basically slip it on the back side of the barb coming off the fuel rail... and pull it towards you while slightly pushing in on the fuel line.

The driver rear is the worst bolt to get to, (buried under the brake booster). A 10mm short swivel socket is the best way to go... with various lengths of extentions,,, and a universal swivel also, (you'll have various lengths of extensions on both sides of the universal). I used that whole setup on the rear bolts on both sides... since you will be working under the cowl.

You'll probably want a can or two of brake parts cleaner... compressed air... and some of the special Ford quick dry/set RTV permatex for the 4 spots where the VC's mate to the front timing cover. I used copper Permatex,,, but let it dry overnight... but you need a heated space for either sealer to dry properly.

Also... you might want a 1/2" internal copper pipe brush, (any hardware store). Reason is... if there is any dirt or corrosion in the plug wells,,, you don't want to pull the plugs and have that debris fall into the cylinder. I pulled all the coils,,, blew out the plug wells... then ran the pipe brush down along side the plug as far down as I could,,, and rotated "walked" it around each plug... then blew out the plug wells again. Any plug well that had oil in it,,, I took a rag and held it over the top,,, and blew the plug well out. I then filled the plug well with Brake cleaner,,, and blew it out again. Fill... repeat,,, until you get a dry plug well.

Most of the rest of it is straight forward. The drivers side is overall slightly more space restricted,,, but not too bad. Youll need to completely pull the air box,,,, and relocted the powere steering reservoir out of the way, (where the air box was). The most tedious thing for me was pulling all 24 seals per cover,,, and re-installing them Each bolt hole has a barrel sleeve to prevent over compressing the valve cover... and it takes a small scredriver to slip them off and on.

Lastly... as you have probably noticed,,, the o-ring at the oil fill is seeping. I replaced that with the same size new o-ring,,, and it's seeping again. At this point I would recommend that anyone doing this job... put some black RTV in with the o-ring,,, to seal the filler neck tube to the VC. To get the tube off,,, flip the VC over... and you will see 2 tabs that lock the filler neck in place. You puch one tab in and slightly rotate the filler neck until the other tab hits a "stop" in the VC. The push in that 2nd tab and rotate it the rest of the way,,, and the filler neck should pull right out.

Dutch, You seem like you know what you are doing... so as long as you have the tools, (and the heated garage,,, and maybe a backup ride)... pick a weekend and go for it. Take your time,,, be patient... and study everything as you go. Take notes if you have to. Besides... then you'll get to see the internal workings up close and personal. Joe gave you the shop manual... which can be a big help.

Don't think I missed anything... :confused:

Now that I think about it... this is for the V8... and I don't recall which engine you have.

Ohhh.. a super fine scotch brite pad, (or same steel wool) could be gently used to clean up the mating surfaces on the head if necessary. If surfaces feel smooth,,, then don't worry about it.
I appreciate the response 04' but this job far exceeds my skill level ... I agree it would be great to get the hands on experience of this 3.9 engine but it's much more difficult than changing out cooling system ...I think I'm going to have a professional tackle this job...after reading your response along with looking at shop manual Joe uploaded I'm going to pay the $500 and let a professional mechanic handle this one... Way above my skill level ... I can change out some plugs and COPs but this sounds way more complex...I appreciate all the details you gave ...thanks again

This really isn't that bad of a job. I just had my VCs off when I did the timing chains and now that I've done it once, I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. The driver side is more work than the passenger side, but luckily I did the passenger side first which was a confidence booster. I took lots of pictures and it paid off when it came time to putting stuff back together later.

I agree it would be great to get the hands on experience of this 3.9 engine but it's much more difficult than changing out cooling system

It might seem more difficult from a technical standpoint,,, but I'd rather do VCG's than work on the cooling system... which can be a total PITA. Plus VCG's take less than half the time of a complete cooling system refresh. Wait till you have to replace the throttle body heater hose that goes under the front edge of the intake manifold.... or pull the gooseneck that goes to the back of the head crossover pipe. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me thinks you'll change your mind. ;)

04 - great write up. Manual doesn't call for T body removal but I guess you did it for a clearer playing field.
Did you replace all the 24 "o" rings to the valve cover bolts? Not necessary I assume.
ADutch: funny as hell, I'm scared poopless about doing cooling system. VCG's are just tedious.

Pulled the RH side plugs and attached a photo. 54K miles on a v8. Threads wet and carbon around the plug base. I see a lot of carbon on the top of the pistons. Can I soak them with something that will dissolve some of that build up? Valves got to be covered too. Will start with Techroline in the tank as Joegr said.

Have about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in three wells. Boots are completely dry. I know this won't get better and it needs done but is this premature at this mileage or is an age thing? Is seal conditioner as an oil additive a nono? Also, assume I leave the plugs in if changing the VCG's to keep debris out of cylinders?

Also, gaskets are non rtv right? Nobody putting anything on them except as called for in two spots, correct?

IMG_20190202_220945.jpg

IMG_20190202_220717.jpg

IMG_20190202_220908.jpg

IMG_20190202_220731.jpg

Last edited:
04 - great write up. Manual doesn't call for T body removal but I guess you did it for a clearer playing field.
Did you replace all the 24 "o" rings to the valve cover bolts? Not necessary I assume.
ADutch: funny as hell, I'm scared poopless about doing cooling system. VCG's are just tedious.

Pulled the RH side plugs and attached a photo. 54K miles on a v8. Threads wet and carbon around the plug base. I see a lot of carbon on the top of the pistons. Can I soak them with something that will dissolve some of that build up? Valves got to be covered too. Will start with Techroline in the tank as Joegr said.

Have about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in three wells. Boots are completely dry. I know this won't get better and it needs done but is this premature at this mileage or is an age thing? Is seal conditioner as an oil additive a nono? Also, assume I leave the plugs in if changing the VCG's to keep debris out of cylinders?

Also, gaskets are non rtv right? Nobody putting anything on them except as called for in two spots, correct?

View attachment 828571282

View attachment 828571283

View attachment 828571284

View attachment 828571285
My post in this thread was awhile ago since posting I have become a lot more familiar with the LS and after tackling a full coolant part refresh I am going to take a shot at the VCG on my present 2001 V8 LS I have the Felpro from rock auto discontinued discount $24.00 dollars hoping Felpro is a good product anywho I'm hoping to have the LS back from shop this week had a generator replaced and muffler welded in ...hoping to do the VCGs this next weekend ... Thanks 04' for this great archive

Jtown...
Yeah no rtv sealant anywhere except where the front cover meets the block... and you will need a warm place to do this for the rtv to cure fully. Any full valve cover set will include all the o-rings, and they should all be replaced. You have to pull the plugs to replace the o-rings on the plug tubes... and they should be included in the VC set. Actually you wont be able to get the covers off without pulling the plugs. Absolutely no seal conditioner unless you want more leaks in worse places!!!!!!!

There is a proper torque sequence for tightening the VC's. The factory manual shows it and Joe has listed the '06 manual multiple times on this site. Maybe he'd be willing to do it again here.
Actually... I documented the whole process with pics... but never found the time to include them. If I can find them I will try to post.
And yes... If something looks like it will be in the way and can be removed without requiring further parts replacement or intensive labor... I pull it.

As an afterthought... If yours is a Gen 2,,, Since you're doing the job next weekend... You might want to go to your local dealer and order the VCT solenoid seals. They are about $27 each... And the should have them for you to pick up before next weekend. Don't remember the part #s but the dealer will know.

Thanks guys for the info. I asked about the small o rings because it didn't call for them in the manual procedure but I get it.

I just pulled the driver side plugs. No oil. Pass side has light oil in three wells. Guess I could do that side and it's easier.

What do you guys think about the carbon build up I can see on those pistons? I'll search and see if anyone has brought it up.

...What do you guys think about the carbon build up I can see on those pistons? I'll search and see if anyone has brought it up.

What octane have you been using?
You could try a double dose of Techron to try and clean it.

Car is new to me (hence all the repairs I'm doing and my new membership). Owner she said always used premium unless it's crazy expensive... maybe that means 89 octane?? I know carbon is a concern in any combustion engine. I just happen to notice a good deal as I pulled the plugs. Wish I had a camera.

When I pulled the head on my Jeep, I had a chance to see carbon after 140k miles. Felt so good doing a head and valve job and cleaning the top of the pistons. Pulling the oil pan, the bottom end was really clean due to frequent oil changes.

I can run some product through the LS that hopefully will aid the injectors and some of the carbon prone build up areas. I just wondered if there was a product I could apply while the plugs are out. May BG stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back