Just wondering 5r55s

Blacky Bulger

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the Mustang uses the same tranny as we do correct?

Could we swap in a built tranny from a mustang of the same years?

This topic has been bugging me for awhile now.. but when I search i get directed to mustang links ofcourse... :shifty::confused:

I would doubt that the bell housing would mate up with the LS V8.

You'd definitely have to use the case from the Lincoln LS 5R55S because the bell housing is different. Not sure if the torque converter is different or not but that would be the other piece to consider. All the internal transmission stuff should be the same.

Probably better off just rebuilding an LS transmission with whatever upgrades you want. The 3.9L, even supercharged, won't make enough power to tear up the stock clutch/frictions in a 5r55s. Most of what seems to be getting done to a 'built' 5R55S is upgraded bands, sleeved servos, changing a valve in the pump, and some minor solenoid pack mods. About half of that really just addresses minor design flaws in the transmission and isn't really a 'performance' upgrade. The servo sleeve, pump valve, and a line pressure spring mod for the solenoid pack are found in a lot of normal rebuilds. Seems like most of what ails a 5R55S is worn out servos and bad trans fluid killing solenoid packs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back