Just what is an Allante?

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In case you don't know or remember...

People look at my car sometimes, look quizzical and say they thought they saw one in the movies...

It has been in lots of movies - Tango and Cash, Terminal Velocity (it was the one pushed out of the plane), Lethal Weapon 2, tons more...

But, I think it is most famous for... the Bundy Bounce...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ42g0kR28

I wish I could find the video where Applegate and Tia Carrera are in a cat fight about who gets to be the Allante Girl- the car at the car show looks just like mine...

And here is a 'really 80s' commercial for it - you have to love the polo ponies...;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VecVZ67vhaY

this car is sooooo 80s - you can smell the Brut aftershave, and I often find links from gold chains under the seat ;) And oddly the stereo only plays lounge lizard songs...

Always thought the Allante was a good looking car, never cared for the digital LCD dash though.

Borrowed my bosses Alante when I was 16 for a day. Had the top down. Man what a car. He even left me an 8ball in the center console. What a nice guy. Too bad I didn't have a clue what it was. Could have sold it.

Borrowed my bosses Alante when I was 16 for a day. Had the top down. Man what a car. He even left me an 8ball in the center console. What a nice guy. Too bad I didn't have a clue what it was. Could have sold it.

Good thing you weren't pulled over.
Sounds like he was a scum bag.

My Neighbor has one... Only takes it out on Nice summer days.
Don't hate it, but don't look at it and say... Ahhhh, would love to have one either

WTF is an 8 ball?

I like the Allante... there was a STUNNING one for sale locally that had around 16k miles and came with a glass hard top... OMG... the wanted $14k for it though...

The guy was so bad that he couldn't smell the 6 bottles of house vodka I dropped when the bottom of the box let go in the stock room. He came down the stairs to the bathroom and walked right by me as I was locking the door to the stock room. It was too busy for me to clean it up so it was fresh!!!. Reaked like a mo-fo. He just walked right by. Smiled.
He was a scumbag - kept the mirror on his desk!! In the open. But it was the end of the 80's and early 90's. What you gonna do?
Beautiful Dark Green Allante convertible! His brother and co-owner had a maroon one. I couldn't tell when the friggin thing started. The first time I drove it there were only about 210 miles on it, over 300 when I got back - he was pissed. 1993 I think - when the VIII came out.

The Allante' was on the market from "87 to '93, if I remember right. Got a reputation for being a little underpowered it couldn't shake but was regarded as a bargain compaired to other cars in its class.

The body was actually made in Italy by Pininfarina, who makes Ferrari bodies, which was supposed to be a big marketing thing, but it fizzeled. Didn't seem to impress Cadillac buyers who were happy with Body by Fisher I guess.

the neeeewwwwwwww Alante!!!!

38369042.jpg

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford one... but the only other GM product I would buy, a 96 Impala SS, has to come first....

The Allante looks like a poor man's Mercedes Benz SL.

500SL-wallpaper.gif

Titan - I have a digital dash - I also have an analog dash in a box... you could get them with either - they are just plug and play. However, to get the real '80s feel you need the digital one (remember when digital watches were the thing to have?) And, when you send the car through its diagnostics it lights up like a christmas tree - things spinning around, blinking - wow! Plus, thanks to the digital dash I got to drive a Countach.. but that is a long story ;)

Kid, haven't ever seen a 'glass' top - I wonder what that was, a special custom thing?

The Allante looks like a poor man's Mercedes Benz SL.

Ah, no...
front3-4smweb.jpg

LuxuryRules - I'll toast almost all VIIIs :) - but, my Allante has had a lot of work done to the power train.

More from Married with Children...
kbundy01.jpg

506.png

There are awesome cars...

The one I saw had two tops, a hard top that matched the body color with a small back window. The other one was completely clear, I don't know what material.

Used to see a red Allante with nice aftermarket alloys (silver painted center with polished lip) back in the day, stock left me cold, but that red one with nice wheels was very nice indeed. Haven't seen one that nice since.

Digital dashes are in a word, (I'll try to be nice), Bad. But that's just my opinion.

However, to get the real '80s feel you need the digital one (remember when digital watches were the thing to have?)

man, i had an l.e.d. watch in the 70's. got it when i started high school. used to suck batteries like crazy.

hrmwrm, love the signature man. I have quite a few famous atheist quotes and hadn't heard either of those.

Just so I don't appear to be hijacking the thread, this one could look pretty good if given a nice setting, those rims look ok:

cadillacallante.jpg

This one isn't half bad either:
cadillacallante1.jpg

cadillacallante2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back