Just the Magnaflow mufflers...

washin34

LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason everyone buys the entire cat back over just the magnaflow muffler and tips...Is there a noticeable difference in sound or performance? I was thinking about putting on mufflers, but don't want to waste my money.

primarily for the increase of the size of the pipes from the cat back, and the resonators but you can have a shop fabricate the pipes for you too at a fraction of the magnaflow system's cost...

if you just get the tips and some smaller magnaflow muffler's for increased output, you will probably have a better sounding kit, but i wouldnt know how much increase in hp, if any the custom kit will yield. most people delete the resonators that come with the kit by the way, so save urself a few hundred bucks.

if you just get the tips and some smaller magnaflow muffler's for increased output, you will probably have a better sounding kit, but i wouldnt know how much increase in hp, if any the custom kit will yield. most people delete the resonators that come with the kit by the way, so save urself a few hundred bucks.

After you guys confirmed my suspicions I will NOT buy the entire cat back. I will just buy the mufflers...but you said get smaller mufflers for increased output? I've only found one size/type of magnaflow muffler that will fit the LS...Which ones are you referring to? You have to forgive me for all the questions but, are you guys throwing out the resonators to make it louder?

they take out the resonators to change the exhaust tone...some people like it with it some people dont...if you youtube it...or if u look at the top of the forum u will find videos for each different type of exhaust and find one that suits ur needs...also the muffler im referring too is a mid-muffler that would replace the 2 back mufflers and go in place of the x pipe...itm would b louder, but if you're me, you'll do straight pipes from the cat back or nothing else...its not even that loud unless you floor it, i rode by a old lincoln continental the square body ones and it had some pipes comin out the back that sounded like a pack of lion's fightin over a zebra carcus....

I dont think only one size muffler fits the ls. The muffler just has to fit under the car, in the muffler space provided, which most do. Like ^^^^^^ said, save your money, dont go with the kit cause you'll end up taking the resonators off. There is this youtube video of a guy putting the magnaflow kit on his ls and when he turns his car on to show it off, it sounds almost the same as stock, I felt bad for him

There is this youtube video of a guy putting the magnaflow kit on his ls and when he turns his car ON to show it off, it sounds almost the same as stock, I felt bad for him

It said on. Why you changing my words around :shifty:

I dont think only one size muffler fits the ls. The muffler just has to fit under the car, in the muffler space provided, which most do.

I know there are a bunch of different size mufflers that will fit the LS, but I am interested in magnaflow mufflers. I like the sound. Are there more than one size of magnaflow mufflers?

On the other hand, I have the entire cat-back installed, just as it came from Magnaflow. It's loud enough to hear but not overbearing. After all, IT IS A LINCOLN!!! With the LSK intake tract and filter, it makes enough noise to turn heads when powering past a challenger on the street. And it has all mandrel bends, which are highly unlikely from a muffler shop.
KS

I know there are a bunch of different size mufflers that will fit the LS, but I am interested in magnaflow mufflers. I like the sound. Are there more than one size of magnaflow mufflers?

Get a center-in/offset-out muffler for the easiest fit. The stock mufflers are quite large so I think there are a couple Magnaflows that qualify, of different lenghts, I guess depending on how much muffling you want.

I was at work and noticed we had a large container of Cherry bomb products come in. Muffler pipes, full cat back systems welded ready for installation and just mufflers in box. Has anyone thought about or tried the Cherry Bomb Vortex. Thinking about doing the exhaust on my 2003 LS this summer torn between flowmasters and the Vortex Cherry Bomb. What do you all think?

Do not put cherry bombs on an LS. Please. I have Cherry Bombs on my 85 chev.

Which one do you have on your LS?

I have flowmasters on my car right now but I have magnaflows in a box waiting to go on next month.

What differences does the the oval size make? There are 4x9 and 5x8 oval mufflers. I went with 5x8 cuase owlman said it's the one he had, but #11225 is a 4x9 mufflers. Oh and I accidently got the center/center muffler. It should still mount fine, I think

I just took a look and it will mount good either way. The center side of the muffler is attached to the tips and the pipes go in the offset. The exhaust pipes wil just need to be brought over some 4 inches. All is still good

The kit works well IMO. Just a muffler swap will give nearly no hp gain, lossing the resonators with them will give maybe a few hp. The kit is supposed to give 10 rwhp and likely does. With just the Magna kit and intake pipe I managed 14.5 in the 1/4. Never seen a stock Gen1 even close.

I just took a look and it will mount good either way. The center side of the muffler is attached to the tips and the pipes go in the offset. The exhaust pipes wil just need to be brought over some 4 inches. All is still good
I have mine the other way around, offset port on the tip side. That way the muffler can be higher up so it's not as visible.

Code:

Mine isn't visible. It sits flat, not up on it's side into the bumper cover.

I have mine the other way around, offset port on the tip side. That way the muffler can be higher up so it's not as visible.

Code:

me too.

Members online

Back