Just Put Steering Rack In But Still Stiff Steering

01LincolnLSV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I just replaced my steering rack yesterday and for some reason i'm still experiencing a stiff steering wheel. now before I replaced it the steering wheel would hang up and be sluggish. no noises associated with it though. it doesn't seem like I have no power steering but its seems harder then usual. now also I had a leak in my old rack but it worked fine for a while then finally went. I don't know what to do. is the rack going to loosen up or do you think its the pump? when the fluid was drained it actually wasn't that dirty... any ideas? any help would be great... I also had the car aligned and it seemed to tighten up more after that...

Got any humming, grinding, or squeaking noises coming from the steering system?. I would look into the pump. I don't really know a good way to check one except for looking for leaks or hearing noises. Also look under the car and have someone turn the steering wheel and look for anything restricting the steering linkage while it is being moved.

Is it ok at higher speeds? Sounds like you have a bad VAPS solenoid or you forgot to reconnect the wiring harness to it:)

beaups said:
Is it ok at higher speeds? Sounds like you have a bad VAPS solenoid or you forgot to reconnect the wiring harness to it:)

funny thing is, it is fine at higher speeds after i drive around for a bit... its weird, i'm gonna get a jack under it tomorow and see whats going on..

Thanks Guys,
Josh

A little off topic but you gonna be able to squeeze Carlisle in. My other buddy bailed cause of work.

Just checking, just wondering if you have any news. Should be a great weekend.

RED LSV8 IN MA said:
A little off topic but you gonna be able to squeeze Carlisle in. My other buddy bailed cause of work.

Just checking, just wondering if you have any news. Should be a great weekend.

Unfortunately no... next time i get paid is june second and i had a ass load of bills to be payin the 3rd and 4th of the month... this steering rack really took a toll on me... sorry man... i dont mean to bail on ya i was really hoping to go...

LincolnTech38 said:
^^^ make sure the power steering pressure switch was plugged back in.

I just started noticing that when the car is warmed up the steering is perfect, so if i drive the car for about 15 minutes the steering is perfect... any ideas?? is it because its a new rack? i also used a cheaper transmission fluid, same type as the ATF from ford but just a different brand... could that be it? or does the rack have to break in?

A new rack does not "break in". I really don't know, you could have air in the system. Who did the job? Did you follow the vacuum/purge procedure? Is your VAPS solenoid connected?

beaups said:
A new rack does not "break in". I really don't know, you could have air in the system. Who did the job? Did you follow the vacuum/purge procedure? Is your VAPS solenoid connected?

i dont remember him doing any vaccum procedure what does it intale? i've checked under the car everything seems connected so i dont think its that...

--Josh

Service manual calls for you to purge air from the system. The process is along the lines of hooking a vacuum pump up with an adapter to the top of the resevoir and applying vacuum while turning the steering wheel from lock to lock (engine running)

And it's not uncommon to have the pump fail when racks fail due to letting the pump run dry over and over from the leaky rack. Additionally if the rack self destructed you could have debris in the lines and/or cooler. You may just want to take to the dealer. They can check line pressures and flow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back