Just for fun, what would it take to make a Mark VIII Autobahn-ready?

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was a little bored and started watching Autobahn videos of all types of cars topping speeds on the Autobahn, especially those making it over 300KPH.

This got me thinking. How would you prepare your Mark to take on the Autobahn, top speeds for long distances, without overheating issues, and with mechanical safety in mind?

edit: includes not turning the car into a tubbed out, salt flats race car. The interior should retain everything it came from the factory

Blower lol and a free flowing exhaust good z rated tires and a little thicker radiator

Aside from adding a bigger set of brakes to the above list, you definitely will need to get used to driving at those speeds on those highways. I have been there many times, and can tell you that although exhilarating at first, it takes massive attention and co-ordination to do a long run.

I buried the 140 once with 4.10 gears and full street trim. Never again. Good luck hitting 180. It won't be easy and it will not be full street trim or a practical driver at that point either.

1. upgrade brakes
2. upgrade brakes
3. upgrade brakes.
4. upgrade headlights.
5.. dump 4.10's for 2.73's

big brakes, some kind of rear spoiler (LaserSVT says the tails gets light at 160+), bigger brakes, and like 400 hp or so. an intercooled vortech would be great. 3.55s/3.31s would be good. but i don't see a need to go to 2.73.

you can do 170 or so with 400 hp and 3.73s.

like kirk said, you can get to 140+ on 4.10s, i've seen 145 or so with a stock motor and chip.

Wind drag gets to be a huge limiting factor at higher speeds. My car went well over 140 but it sounded horrific. LOL

big brakes, some kind of rear spoiler (LaserSVT says the tails gets light at 160+), bigger brakes, and like 400 hp or so. an intercooled vortech would be great. 3.55s/3.31s would be good. but i don't see a need to go to 2.73.

like kirk said, you can get to 140+ on 4.10s, i've seen 145 or so with a stock motor and chip.

Do you think 400HP would suffice for these beasts?

I think the key is having enough power to fight the wind drag on the car at the point where that is your limiting factor. I'd be curious to see how 2 Mark8s side by side on identical setups would do if one of the cars had a significant suspension drop. Look at the Corvettes. Those cars are lower than a pregnant ant's stomach BUT they are also light. Our cars are fairly aerodynamic, but not nearly that of a Vette or Ford GT for example. Body design becomes a huge factor I think when it comes to making a car with a big profile go fast.

They ran it in 3rd gear for greater transmission efficiency allowing for a higher top speed. Plus overdrive can not handle near as much power reliably.

Might also need to get rid of the 2 piece DS if you're rocking a 94-98

suffice? depends on your goals..

the white car Nolan has went around 172 with that blower.

the 5 speed, c headed marauder engine, mark viii mike built went around 162 without a blower. they'll get moving pretty good without a ton of power.

They ran it in 3rd gear for greater transmission efficiency allowing for a higher top speed. Plus overdrive can not handle near as much power reliably.

OK, so an option would be to swap out the trans for something with extra gears like a T56 or an auto with a 5th gear (not too knowledgeable about them but don't new Mustang's have these?)

suffice? depends on your goals..

the white car Nolan has went around 172 with that blower.

the 5 speed, c headed marauder engine, mark viii mike built went around 162 without a blower. they'll get moving pretty good without a ton of power.

The goal is to keep constant high speeds on the Autobahn without killing the drivetrain. So let's say, keeping it at an average of 160MPH reliably. In other words, I want the car to be fast, but doesn't necessarily have to be "quick" to get there. I just want to keep up with European cars made for this awesome highway.

Needs to be slammed and I'd make the bit of rubber under the front bumper into an actual dam. Nothing like low pressure under the car to keep her on the ground. You will probably eat a tranny running an OD 4th fairly quickly so a high rear end would be nice to keep it direct.

I don't like spoilers much but one may be needed too, I dunno.

No toe in, straight on the front, although I have no experience with IRS. With big tires and high speed any toe will make her hunt. I have run cars with none and after about 80 mph it is much nicer. A bit squirrely at lower speeds though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back