Just bought the cleanest Lincoln Continental in Existence [First Car]

Jake Muzzo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I got the cleanest 2002 lincoln continental probably in existence on Craigslist today. Fully loaded, all of the options are on this baby, even the customizable air ride suspension system.

It was owned by an elderly couple who were attorneys, they kept it in the garage. Very important because I live in Alaska.

4.6l v8 only 69k miles on it, no dings or scrapes. Only paid $6,500 for this beauty and it's my first car. I'm so ****ing excited. This bitch is classy as ****.

I need to change the coolant, it looks a little gunked up with sediment or something, how hard is it to change out the head unit?? It does have the upgraded Alpine audio system, but I want a more modern head unit

Here's some pics (http://imgur.com/a/zyZ7N)

I hate to be that guy, but it doesn't have the luxury appearance package (deal breaker imho) and has the base model rims (but that's easy to replace). I think you overpaid by about $2k. My 2000 was fully loaded with the same mileage in the same condition and I paid $3000. I live in CT so car prices are super inflated, I'm not sure how they are in Alaska. I know I got a good deal but I wouldn't have paid more than 4.5k for it personally. But for a first car it's damn nice, just too expensive and not fully loaded

I'd never sell my car for 4500, even though I see them selling for less. You simply can't buy another car this good for 4500. It needs nothing but minor maintenance for another 100k+ miles. It has zero rust, something you don't find anywhere in the salt belt.

I suppose I could have bought a beater Civic for the same price but why put up with half the power and none of the features this car has?

I'd never sell my car for 4500, even though I see them selling for less. You simply can't buy another car this good for 4500. It needs nothing but minor maintenance for another 100k+ miles. It has zero rust, something you don't find anywhere in the salt belt.

I suppose I could have bought a beater Civic for the same price but why put up with half the power and none of the features this car has?

I agree that you can't buy another car this good for $4500, but at the same time A LOT of people sell conti's like this for that much, especially in CT, where I was able to find one in condition like this with all options including luxury appearance for $3k In my home town, 3 miles down the road, he priced it to sell and I had no problems with it at all until my town forgot to salt the roads. Also, atm I'm driving a 2014 civic si which stock has way more pickup and more features. I'd still rather have the Lincoln any day of the week though. I just wanted to try the other end of the spectrum

My comparison was with a Civic that would sell for $4500, but if even a new Civic Si has "way more pickup" than your Continental, you need a tuneup! From a dig it has an advantage with a manual trans but punch it from 30 or 60 and you'd see my tail lights for sure. The Lincoln is the slowest car I've owned in years so it's not like I'm bragging; I've got 12-second quarter mile timeslips dating back almost 20 years.

A $600 radio will give you nav / bluetooth streaming / satellite & HD radio. What else does the Civic (old or new) offer that we don't have?

I think a 14.6 quarter mile from the civic is slightly better than the lincoln, not to mention the lincoln cannot handle. at all. go ahead and get coilovers but it'll never ever come close to the civic's stock handling, which (especially in mountainous areas) is much more fun than straight line performance. Honestly i don't care about the electronic features, I buy a car for the car. I would rather drive the lincoln as a daily driver but if I want to have fun, the si is hands down the winner, especially considering 300 hp is easily obtainable with the civic with a mild tune, which will make it better in literally every performance scenario.

I admit you won't see me corner-carving with the Lincoln, and that's ok because I never expected a luxury sedan from back then to do anything but float in a straight line. I needed cheap transportation (no payments) that wasn't too hard to live with so I ended up in a 1-owner Continental instead of a stripper econobox.

I've seen magazines report 14.60s for the current Civic but can't find a Honda enthusiast site that backs up the figure. Most real-world owners report 15.1 - 15.3 as their best time for a stock car.

15.0 @ 93.5

15.1 @ 94 (sedan, but curb weight is almost identical)

Even dragtimes.com has only a 15.0 @ 93 which is nowhere close to a guaranteed win vs. a Continental that has been freed from its electronic restrictions. Our engine is really held back by its FWD tune and slow-shifting transmission. Cadillacs with the Northstar run in the mid or low 14s; why should the Continental be any different when the nanny has been removed?

There are truly fast Civics out there but they did far more than a tune to get there. Fart mufflers & an intake is as far as 99% of most owners go, and they think it makes them just as fast as the guys with real mods. Horsepower is just gas + air, and you've got to have a lot of both to make a lot of power. Without a turbo, 2.4 liters isn't getting very far.

My old 2.5 liter Subaru that did make real power (425 awhp on 93 octane) :

fmic.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back