Just bought my first Continental, and I have a question

rgurleyjr

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought me a 1995 Continental, white on grey, with 165,000 miles for $1800. Exterior and interior are perfect, a/c, and everything works. I have a few questions.
How reliable are the engines and transmissions in those years? I have no clue about any previous maintenance.
And the one thing I need is a cd player. I understand they only used cd changers correct? How do I go about getting a cd player? Is there wiring already in the car for a changer from a newer Lincoln? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Engine is reliable, but the tranny is less so. An aftermarket, in line transmission cooler couldn't hurt. FWD, a heavy car, and V8 torque are not the best combo for an automatic tranny. Replacing all fluids, filters, etc isn't a bad idea either. I am not sure about the wiring. Check with your Lincoln dealer. I have a feeling it is not there. If you have a 5 passenger car, the changer would have been in the console. If it is a 6, it would have been in a special mini floor console accessed via the passenger side.

Sorry about the double post, one was moved from the Mark forum here and I can't figure out how to delete one of my topics.
Getting a cd changer to work would be to hard, I figured out that any aftermarket cd player can be made to work, I'll invest in one soon. I thought the radio was round like the Taurus/Sables and for some reason I thought aftermarket cd players would be hard to get to fit. Thanks for the replies.

If you put in an afterkarket CD player you might have to get a bypass cable to bypass the factory amp, any good stereo shop should have one, that's what i had to do to my 91 Town Car.

rgurleyjr said:
Sorry about the double post, one was moved from the Mark forum here and I can't figure out how to delete one of my topics.
Getting a cd changer to work would be to hard, I figured out that any aftermarket cd player can be made to work, I'll invest in one soon. I thought the radio was round like the Taurus/Sables and for some reason I thought aftermarket cd players would be hard to get to fit. Thanks for the replies.

why would it be too hard to get a cd changer to work? Changers are just as easy to install as a new head unit and are quite cheap these days. Why would you only want one cd instead of 6+? I have a 10 disc MP3 cd changer and would never have anything else....... except maybe a built in IPOD. And I paid less for the cd changer than I would have for a good single MP3 cd player.

Members online

Back