Just bought my first Continental, and I have a question

Lincoln Continental

1. rgurleyjr

rgurleyjr Active LVC Member

Just bought me a 1995 Continental, white on grey, with 165,000 miles for $1800. Exterior and interior are perfect, a/c, and everything works. I have a few questions.
    How reliable are the engines and transmissions in those years? I have no clue about any previous maintenance.
    And the one thing I need is a cd player. I understand they only used cd changers correct? How do I go about getting a cd player? Is there wiring already in the car for a changer from a newer Lincoln? Any advice would help. Thanks.

2. pepperman

pepperman The Real Deal

:W to :V

3. ND4SPDLSC

ND4SPDLSC Well-Known LVC Member

Engine is reliable, but the tranny is less so. An aftermarket, in line transmission cooler couldn't hurt. FWD, a heavy car, and V8 torque are not the best combo for an automatic tranny. Replacing all fluids, filters, etc isn't a bad idea either. I am not sure about the wiring. Check with your Lincoln dealer. I have a feeling it is not there. If you have a 5 passenger car, the changer would have been in the console. If it is a 6, it would have been in a special mini floor console accessed via the passenger side.

4. rgurleyjr

rgurleyjr Active LVC Member

Sorry about the double post, one was moved from the Mark forum here and I can't figure out how to delete one of my topics.
    Getting a cd changer to work would be to hard, I figured out that any aftermarket cd player can be made to work, I'll invest in one soon. I thought the radio was round like the Taurus/Sables and for some reason I thought aftermarket cd players would be hard to get to fit. Thanks for the replies.

5. pepperman

pepperman The Real Deal

If you put in an afterkarket CD player you might have to get a bypass cable to bypass the factory amp, any good stereo shop should have one, that's what i had to do to my 91 Town Car.

6. darkravenchild

darkravenchild New LVC Member

why would it be too hard to get a cd changer to work? Changers are just as easy to install as a new head unit and are quite cheap these days. Why would you only want one cd instead of 6+? I have a 10 disc MP3 cd changer and would never have anything else....... except maybe a built in IPOD. And I paid less for the cd changer than I would have for a good single MP3 cd player.