JBL Sound System on 93 Mark

thecoolmajor

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My stereo started popping and cracking, then it died but I see that the CD and radio were playing but I wasn't getting any sound. The next time I started the car, the stereo was working in the background of serious engine noise and feedback. I replaced the amp (I have two) and it didn't fix the problem which leads me to believe that it's the headunit/stereo itself.

Is there an aftermarket stereo that drives the amp (or at least all eight speakers) and the 10 disc CD player? I have read posts about bypassing the amp and the 10 disc CD player but I would rather find a substitute if possible. I am going to call Crutchfield or maybe even JBL to start with. Any info?

Thanks,
Mike

-1993 Lincoln Mark VIII
-1967 Mustang (sold)

Dishonorable Mentions:
-2004 Camry (wife's)
-2004 Sienna (wife's)

I changed out the system in my 93. Threw the amp away. Fairly easy to run the wires under the dash and to the door panels and rear seat speakers. I do not have the JBL, but would be the same.
The grills over the rear speakers pull out, but go easy on them.
I went with a Sony Deck with detachable face, but many options.

Thanks for the info David! After doing some looking, I found that I have to say bye-bye to the 10 position CD player but I can keep the amp if I get some wiring kits. Here is a deck and accessories that will allow me to tie into the amp and get a single position CD with USB and Bluetooth! All of this for $135 and once my amps die, I will have to bypass it:

105KDA865B JVC KD-AR865BTS CD Receiver
120305512 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Kit E
120705510 Metra 70-5510 Wire Harness for Ford/Lin/Mer/Maz 86-00 Amp Integrati
120865618 Universal OEM DIN Tool Pair for Factory Radio Removal
669PP500 Posi-Products Connector Kit 16 pieces for Car Stereos

The media format changes means that I have paid for the same albums five times in my life!! You know, albums, eight-tracks, cassettes, CDs and now mp3!!

Now I can Rock On!!

I wanted to follow up and finish this thread. I couldn't use the new stereo to amp conversion wire harness because I discovered that the amp was also inop. I installed the JVC stereo I mentioned in the post above and then bought and installed four 6x8 coaxial speakers. I got the last for at nearby Best Buy for $60. I then wired the new speakers to the new stereo by soldering the wires. The trickiest one was the front passenger door for sure.

Now, I no longer have to be at a stoplight listening to nearby cars pumping out Taylor Swift - I can turn on my system and Rock out!

I have attached a few pics and they're not the best but you get the idea.

stereo1.jpg

stereo2.jpg

stereo3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back