It's That Time of Year: Low Temps = Low Truck

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2005 Navigator

It's even worse now. When this problem started, the temp had to be below freezing before my suspension wouldn't work. I mean in the low 20's or lower. A year later, anything below 50 degrees. This year it's anything below 60 causes trouble. I wish Ford could have built these Air Springs like they were being sold on a $50,000+ vehicle. They could have used screw on fittings and parts that bolt together, and I wouldn't be on here searching for the solution others have used. Some companies sell replacement parts, but they appear to be built with the same flawed design Ford used. I don't want to replace my bags only to have to revisit this issue again 5 years from now. But I REFUSE to convert to springs. If I wanted a jeep, I would have bought one.

Has anyone found a solution to the consistently failing o-rings used in our sub-par air suspension?

What I've learned. If you have a long enough commute, once the engine is sufficiently warm and running at normal operating temps, the suspension will start to work again. What I used to do is wait for the "Check Suspension" after about 15 to 20 minutes of driving. Then park for a couple of minutes. Turn the truck off and then back on. If your rings aren't TOO bad (meaning they still work during the summer), the bags will start to hold air as the heat from the engine warms them up. Stupid cheap o-rings are making my life a living hell. If I knew how to replace them, I'd do it instead of looking for full strut replacements.

how does this ring system work? is it similar to the o-ringed solenoids in the mark vii and viii?

and you are certain that its the o-rings leaking and not the bag? the marks go the other way, the bags usually go much before the o-rings.

is replacing the o-rings with something from a hardware store out of the question? i did that in my mark viii.

alright. after some research, i believe this is a solenoid out of an 03-06 navi rear bag.

fac_air_solenoid_lg.jpg

if so, that's pretty basic. just get new o-rings. they aren't all that special.

this might even work. (although it is listed on the mark viii page. call eddie at american air. see what he says.)

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/product-p/sol-kit.htm

I've heard there's a set of the rings. I haven't inspected them myself, but I know for a fact it's not the bags. Bags aren't affected by temp. If there's a leak in the bag, it doesn't matter what the temp is, they don't work. Nearly EVERY Navigator in my area has this issue. When the cold weather comes in, every Navigator on the road in the 03~06 range is sitting like a low rider. The issue began in 2010 when my truck was only 5 years old. Far too early for a 5 year old truck to have these issues.

I wish I could find some kind of diagram for the way these things are made. If those are in deed the o-rings that cause the leakage, I would be extremely happy. I'm not sure how to get to them, I'm hoping they can be replaced without having to pull the strut.

Also, the reseal kit you linked to is also listed under Navigator suspension parts. I'm going to give it a try. I can't wait to see the results. I'd love to have my truck back to its normal self. I have to avoid driving it this time of year...

BTW, is there any special dressing or O-ring lube you can put on them to help keep this from happening?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I talked to the guy at the Ford dealership, and he can get me the rings for the solenoid [5312] by tomorrow for $8 each. That's a lot more than the link you left me, but I can get them much quicker. Besides, this is the cheapest part on the setup. Apparently, if this ring doesn't fix it, the ones I have to worry about are 5B302 which is nearly $60 per side fronts only. If it's those, I'd also have to pull the spring apart to replace them. The other option is new air springs for roughly $140 each on ebay and a few other places. So I'm going to start with the rings for the solenoid, and go from there...

Praying the solenoid rings are the problem!!! :runaway:

Grab a spray bottle put a little dish soap in there, pop the hood on the driver side easy access to the air spring cap and pray away the other side isn't really hard to get to but it is under the battery tray just a little in front of it spray as well if you see bubbles replace the cap this is 99% of the problems when the low ride in the low temps. At times after driving for a few the ride will raise back up when the ignition is cycled, keep us posted.....

Members online

Back