It's a done deal..I BOUGHT A NEW CAR!!

RRocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
After so much searching, and much driving I've replace my sold 97 LSC with a 1998 Lexus GS400. I REALLY had my heart set on an XJR, but in the end the higher running costs of the Jag made the GS400 the winner. I know I'll be missing the 370HP the Jag has, but I won't miss the 30% more insurance premium, the more costly parts, and the potential for less relaibility. I somewhat lucked out, as the colour is pretty rare for a GS400...Antique Bronze Mica. Here's a pic of thre colour
3146erickG-med.jpg

I only paid $22,000 CDN, full service books, and car is mint inside and out. I looked long and hard and did tons of research, and I think I've found a car that will do everything the Mark did, but without the flaws of the Mark. This is a very, very quiet car, the build quality is beyond compare, and for reliability is has no peer. Oh..and it's fast too! :steering It's quite alot faster than a Mark, and it actually has good low end torque, which the Mark lacked. Great car. All in all, I'm VERY please to have found this gem. Anybody ever driven one before?

RRocket said:
After so much searching, and much driving I've replace my sold 97 LSC with a 1998 Lexus GS400. I REALLY had my heart set on an XJR, but in the end the higher running costs of the Jag made the GS400 the winner. I know I'll be missing the 370HP the Jag has, but I won't miss the 30% more insurance premium, the more costly parts, and the potential for less relaibility. I somewhat lucked out, as the colour is pretty rare for a GS400...Antique Bronze Mica. Here's a pic of thre colour
3146erickG-med.jpg

I only paid $22,000 CDN, full service books, and car is mint inside and out. I looked long and hard and did tons of research, and I think I've found a car that will do everything the Mark did, but without the flaws of the Mark. This is a very, very quiet car, the build quality is beyond compare, and for reliability is has no peer. Oh..and it's fast too! :steering It's quite alot faster than a Mark, and it actually has good low end torque, which the Mark lacked. Great car. All in all, I'm VERY please to have found this gem. Anybody ever driven one before?

That's a sweet GS400. Congrats on your new ride! :Beer

Congrats Ron. I had predicted the LS400 weeks ago but I obviously forgot about the GS series in that model. Not really up to speed on all the lexus models I guess. Anyway, nice ride, 4 doors, etc. When do the mods begin now that you have sooo much spare change left over???

Bryan,

Yep..you know me well..you were close. And about the mods...you know me well too. The mods start soon too! I've already seen stock GS400 making RWHP that modded Marks make. I saw one with an intake, exhaust and chip bang down 275RWHP....I'm looking for a Borla already, and a torque converter to get even more down low!!!! And a wood dash kit. I'll post pics of my step by step build up. When you buying your Lexus??

Lexus GS-400
0-60 ~ 6.2sec
1/4 Time ~ 14.8
1/4 MPH ~ 97
Weight ~ 3690 lbs.
Hp ~ 300@6000
Torque ~ 310@4000

Vs.

Lincoln Mark VIII
0-60 ~ 6.9sec
1/4 Time ~ 15.2
1/4 MPH ~ 95
Weight ~ 3768 lbs.
Hp ~ 290@5750 rpm
Torque ~ 295@4500 rpm

Not a whole lot faster. I like that Lexus. I would just pick a Lincoln any day over a ricer. . .

I can't wait to race Ron. '98 to '98. We'll make sure the mods are equivalent to make sure the advantage goes to the best platform. Mine will be lowered with beefier sway bars, gears, chip, exhaust and nos, for 5 grand less than he spent. Folks, it is all about the money. My neighbor just bought a brand new Porsche. Gorgeous car. No doubt. But it is fool's money spent.

I will always exchange the money wasted on a new car, for a good, depreciated used car. Which is why I continue to own a Mark VIII. Although after my mod fixation, I will have to move on shortly. The Mark is getting too old. Although when compared to other cars, is obvious it was way beyond it's years. My next car is an Aston Martin! Why??? Because there are some huge deals out there on them. I am all about deals. If I can buy a car, drive it for 2 years for free, why not.

Does anybody realize the value of $10,000 saved today, then invested for 30 years???

I congratulate Ron for doing the right thing. All that talk about about new Jag this and that, I knew he would do the right thing and buy value-for-the-dollar. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it. You know what they say, a "fool and his money".

Ron, let the mods begin. When you are ready, I will drive up to Canada and hand you some whoop-ass. Deal? I always wanted to meet you anyway.

Did I ever tell you I used to do business in Canada? Montreal to be exact. I hated it. Money exchange rates, freight rates, attitude, etc. Why don't you guys just agree to be taken over by the United States? That way we can have your coal and your Elk. LOL.

Good day, eh!!

Man that is a sweet ride you have there Ron! I'm in need of a 4 door car myself and the 1998 GS400 seems to be a good deal. I had my heart set on a 2001 7 series, but that's still a bit too expensive for my budget.

Congrats on the new car.

Kale

Kale,

I think that is the color but not the wheels. I think. Maybe Ron can correct if I am wrong. Either way, I think it was a great choice.

Bryan,

As you know, I had a 1997 LSC, well modded. I could have dropped a mere $4K on it for a blower, as I already had all of the general mods. (dyno tuned, pulleys, exhaust, T-stat, 80mm mass air, Cobra R wheels, Lightning plugs, etc, etc..) But I wanted something BETTER, not just faster. The GS400 is an all around better quality car. Everything about the GS was better than my Mark. Quieter, smoother, more reliable, better resale, and the quality, particularly of the interior, is heads and shoulders better. I think everybody here is mistaken, in that I didn't love my Mark VIII...I did..alot. Otherwise, I would not have spent as much $$$ doing mods to make it that much better. I bought the GS for a better car, not a faster car. If I really wanted faster I would have the XJR in my garage. I've owned fast already...is 10.65 fast enough for you?? That's what my Mustang did. Or 9.9's on my bike. I had a Stealth TT that did low 13's., my Taurus SHO almost went 13's. My 1990 and my 1994 Mustang also both went 13's. I have enough income to buy alot of really fast cars...I even considered a Supra, which is a car that can be made to have 700HP...on a stock block. But I wanted a BETTER car. Sadly, nothing the domestic car companies have made really compares to the GS. I honestly think that after the 97-98 LSCs, there is really nothing the domestics have made that are remotely that good. Honest. So really, my hand was forced into buying Japanese, and barring that, upscale European. I work in the automotive industry, and I can tell you story after story about how much better the Japanese are a building cars. I've personally dealth with all domestic manufacturers, and with Lexus, Toyota, Nissan and Honda. Whenever I talk to an engineer from the domestics, the first thing that comes out of their mouths is "We have to make this part/process cheaper". Honest. Whenever I talk to a Japanese customer, the first thing they say is "We have to make this BETTER". I once made a mold for Lexus. It was for a spare tire cover, out of plastic, that sits underneath the trunk liner. It's a part that no one would ever see..a "no show" part as we call it. But Lexus insisited the tooling be Nickel plated, an absolutely huge expense for a no show part. I asked why, and was simply told "Because we want ours to be the best". The same can't be sad for the domestic companies, and that's worrysome for me. I live in Windsor, where we have the Minivan plat, and the Essex aluminum casting plant (which makes 4.6 and 5.4 blocks). For comparison purposes, the Toyota casting plant more than doubles the output of the Ford plant, yet does so with less than 1/3 of the employees Ford uses. It's scary. They also refurbish their tooling a full 20% before they are scheduled for refurbishment, whereas the domestics wait until they are broken before doing anything. We also do repairs on tooling. We had to "repair" the tooling for the mold for the tail-light for the new Caddie SRX. (As a note here..I made the red lense for the large neon tail light on your LSC, Bryan!) This SRX tail light mold was MADE IN CHINA. China has a great labour force, but doesn't have an even decent SKILLED trade force. The mold was absolutely terrible. Cadillac almost flipped out when we informed them the cost to repair the tail-light. As it turned out, the cost of the repair (which wasn't a huge repair) was going to cost more than the entire cost of the mold that was build in China. So instead of doing it right the 1st time around, the mold is now somewhat a cobbled mess, and has cost them twice the amount to do it. They wanted "cheap cost" instead of "high quality". And sadly, that's the way the domestics do it..even high end brands like Cadillac. And it makes me sad, since the domestics are..well..AMERICAN. Like apple pie. And baseball. The industrial revolution from the carmakers is what made America the wealthy and powerful country that it is today. They put food on thousands upon thousands of tables. And these great companies are being eroded, and may someday go away, because they are cheaping out. And that makes me really mad. I don't hate domestic companies..the contrary. I love them, and it makes me angry to see them being degraded, instead of being upgraded with higher quality. And it bothers me that I can't support those workers, and I refuse to buy American just to say I buy American. I work very hard for my $$, and will spend it on the best product. I WANT to buy domestic, but I can't. I suspect of others knew how poor the domestics do their stuff, they would buy less...so maybe it's best they do not. I can't blindly support a poor product, especially such a major purchase as a car. I mean would you buy a POS house just because it was built by local people? I have set standards to have the best, or as near as I can for everything in my life. House, car, friends, wife, dog. There are some things you should not scrimpt on. I never begrudge anyone for buying with their heart though, afterall, it's their money. But for my money, I'll buy the best I can..unfortunately, the domestics don't have the best luxury now. (I test drove the 300C and walked away very unimpressed). I am somewhat encouraged by the quality of the interior on the new F-150. It very, very well done. If they can keep it up with their cars, there may be hope.....but then they will need to do better on exterior design. They need to hire away some of the best and brightest. They are mired in the "retro" look, which in my opinion doesn't take much skill or show much passion. Look at Subaru..they hired a brilliant designer away from Fiat (Andreas Zapatinas) and their next generation of cars are going to be some of the most beautiful and stylish cars we've seen from a mainstream company in awhile. (sadly, their new designer wasn't hired in time to do the Legacy/Outback redesign). Sorry..I just had to vent. I thought some people here thought I was "anti-domestic". I'm just "anit-poor quality".

Oh..and by the way...I did notie you posted the lowest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the GS400. Pretty sneaky. My Motor Trend and Car and Driver both list 0-60 for the GS400 as 5.8 and 5.6..so it is quite alot faster than the Mark. I'll let you know how it goes stock..I always go to the strip. I remember fondly my Mark only being able to muster a 15.2 second quarter mile box stock...Phatz in his 1993 stocker beat me soundly. (14.9 or so). So I will post results soon. I have seen a stock GS400 with only exhast, filter and chip put down 258RWHP...which is ALOT more than a Mark VIII with equal mods.

Bryan...where do you live? Perhaps I'll take a trip out there. I'm ready now for a race Stock vs. Stock. Think you can take me? I always loved taking road trips. And sorry about your luck in dealing with Montreal. I don't consider those people Canadian. They think they are "special", and their heads are up their asses. Snobs, jerks, dicks..you name it. The think they are so special, in fact, that they have been trying to seperate from Canada for many, mnay years now. I say, let them go!!!

Congratulations on your new car, Ron. I agree that the kit makes it look a lot better. How many miles does she have? Is there much difference between a '98 and newer GS400 models besides the price?

I disagree with the comment about the fools money. As with most things you get what you pay for. Let's see, Honda Civic, Lots of mods, looks cool, probably 25 - 30k invested all told. Then you can buy a stock Cad for 45 - 50k that puts the Honda to shame. Ok so that not a apple to apple comparison.

Lets move on. Lincoln, 25k - 35k? Same car as a crown vic. Just a few more bells and whistles and a higher price tag. Or again say a Cad DTS for instance, supposedly in the same class. Cadillacs are not a spin off of anything. Most cad parts are not interchangeable with any other GM product. They are unique in and of themselves. For years Cadillacs have been manufactures in an exclusive plant. Also as far as performance and reliability goes I've had both and the Cadillacs win hands down in all areas. They're just more car, plain and simple.

Onto the ricers. Lets take a SL500 Benz for instance, yes a $80k car but what compares to the looks performance and German engineering. Case in point you get what you pay for. The Lexy is a great choice and you'll be very happy with it.

:C

"Bryan...where do you live? Perhaps I'll take a trip out there. I'm ready now for a race Stock vs. Stock. Think you can take me? I always loved taking road trips. And sorry about your luck in dealing with Montreal. I don't consider those people Canadian. They think they are "special", and their heads are up their asses. Snobs, jerks, dicks..you name it. The think they are so special, in fact, that they have been trying to seperate from Canada for many, mnay years now. I say, let them go!!!"

I am in Milwaukee. Man the stories I could tell you about Montreal.
icon8.gif

Hey, you live in Windsor? I tested one of my injection molds up there 2 years ago and the guy still owes me $2500. Maybe you could go over and collect for me! We could split the money recovered. Or should i send Joey over with his LvC Mafia???
icon10.gif

I am looking to build an injection molding tool in China right now. The last one I built here in the US at one of the nicest facilities I have been in for tooling. A spotless shop. Paid over $100,000 for the tool. They did it in 5 weeks. Start to finish, including the pathing time, everything. Although I did pay an extra $8,000 I think for the accellerated schedule. I too (almost) always put quality in front of price, but if I can save $50,000 on a tool, there's my Aston. So it is tough to resist.
icon11.gif

I will let you put the first coat of wax on, or should I just wax you first? LOL.
icon12.gif

Next week I finish up the exhaust. Then the JMOD, and then the chip. Then we'll run 'em in the true spirit of competition. What is the gear ratio on the GS400? You have to spot me some 4:10's to make up for the HP advantage.

Take care,
Bryan
MonsterMark

Bryan,

Unfortunately, gearsets for the GS400 aren't that simple. You have to take the gears and limited slip rear end from a Supra. Alot of expense, and the ratio is only 3.76 Why don't you let our shop quote your mold, just to see where we are price-wise? We specialize in lenses, therefore our quality is one of the highest around. It wouldn't hurt to see. And be REALLY careful with the molds from China. We also have a repair division, and we've been really shocked about how badly they are build. Some of the molds have only been able to shoot about 200 parts before flashing/breaking. Who owes you $2500??? Cheers..!!

3.76 gears. Maybe that is why you feel the 400 is stronger on the low end. Have you ever driven a Mark with 4.11'? I have recently, (Brad's Car), and they are wild. The best Mod for the money, by far. Car shifts into 2nd gear at 4000 rpm, and that is with Brads sluch box tranny. A JMOD and his car would be shifting at 4200-4300 rpm which totally rocks. That's why I asked for the gear upgrade? With the exhaust, gears, chip and JMOD, I expect to see low 5 second 0-60 times.

I gotta run. I'll get back to you with my thoughts on molding. I am actually in the market for 4 molds. Send me the name of your company privately and I will do some due diligence. The reason I came up to Windsor the 1st time was I had heard good things about the molding community up there. I would have to wash the bad taste out of my mouth and we would have to go "clubbing" for me to change my mind. LOL.

Brian,

No, no...the stock gears on the GS400 are the same as a Mark VIII LSC... 3.27. The highest aftermarket gears (that are easily obtained) for the GS400 are 3.76. So both cars use the same ratio stock. The GS400 IS faster beacsue a) it makes more torque, and the torque comes on lower in the RPM range. b) this is the big one 80% of the GS400 torque is available as low as 1500 RPM. I think that's where the biggest gains come from. You'll note that the GS isn't hugely faster in the 1/4, but is quite a bit faster 0-60. The lower torque RPM allows the GS to come off the line easier.

My mom live in WI right next to WIS. I'll be going to visit her in a couple of weeks. So we can meet up and race at WIS. Sound like a plan???? ~R

Congrats on the new car. Lexus makes very nice cars, much better quality than anything domestic.
But I'm keeping my Mark until something that looks at least half as good comes along. Do you guys realy like this kind of styling? Those lights in the trunk lid?(hey, we need more lights). It's like that new BMW 740, ugh!
Guess I'm still scarred from being tooled around in a '56 Imperial when I was a kid.

Hey Ron, any good reasons to get a 2000 over a 97-98 besides the newer factor?

My car shifts at 6000 and with the shift kit now it doesnt lose hardly any rpm I think it drops to 4300 or a little more, I might have them install again before the next meet, I will let ya drive it, it jumps damn near 25 mph when it shifts

now with the exhaust it pulls like a mutha suckuh top end( mutha suckuh means really damn hard ) LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back