It never ends....

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Was checking the oil and saw this (coolant splatters) on the EGR. It appears to be all down the front cover and I’m losing coolant.

All of the plastic coolant parts are Motorcraft and have been replaced in the past 6 - 9 months. I replaced the water pump about 18 months ago with a Duralast from Autozone because I couldn’t wait for a Motorcraft.

I am checking on the “Lifetime limited” warranty with the Duralast.
I can’t think of another leak location that would have those types of stains.

D4A009BF-AEFC-4081-9760-8E21DA879793.jpeg

011FE62B-8E80-49AC-874A-08372B57F1E8.jpeg

DD2F6C2E-1A5C-4089-B02E-D51E7A12A1A7.jpeg

I broke my engine with a lifetime warranty Autozone water pump! The impeller fell off the shaft internally and the engine kept ejecting coolant through the degas bottle while I was troubleshooting it with straight water. After changing the thermostat in the parking lot at work, and maybe 4 refills, the next wave of ejected water was blackened with carbon and that was all she wrote. Best idea, if you want to keep the car, is eat the water pump cost and get OEM. I actually received a free replacement for mine, but they wouldn't cover my engine, lol. My replacement used V6 only cost me $400 with tax, so I wasn't all that worried, nor did I expect anything except the pump to be covered. You may be able to use a cooling system pressure test to verify the leak's origin in a non driving situation. Good luck.

...I am checking on the “Lifetime limited” warranty with the Duralast. I can’t think of another leak location that would have those types of stains....

I can (crossover tube), but you are almost certainly correct that this is the water pump.

I used to think that rebuilt or aftermarket water pumps were fine. Maybe they used to be? Anyway my experience with my 2001 Ranger (a commonish, simple water pump) taught me otherwise. I'll never touch one again. Go get the Ford/Jaguar pump. Even if they send the replacement aftermarket pump with $100, don't touch it. Uber till the correct pump gets to you if you have to.

I can (crossover tube), but you are almost certainly correct that this is the water pump.

Thanks Joe...Normally, I think the crossover pipe could be the culprit, but with that piece being only a few months old and Motorcraft...

Members online

No members online now.
Back