It comes right down, they said. It's easy, they said. lol Dome light help

trifelife

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2006 LS, doing the led conversion and and finding it top be a bit of a pain. I'm doing the dome lights. I've spent lots of time reading everything that's been posted here and deemed that removing the sun visors and pulling down the headliner was not necessary based on other people's results. I dropped the overhead unit front and back, but it only drops a little bit as there is no slack on the wiring. Doesn't leave room to get at the bulbs. I pried loos the wiring for the sunroof control but that doesn't drop the overhead unit any further. I'm assuming the wiring for the lights has to be pulled, but theres no room for a hand to do that either, and how would I ever get it connected again?

domelights.jpg

when I did mine, some of the wire was caught up in the glue up in the headliner (I dont know if that is by design) but I was able to carefully pull it loose and get enough slack to get at the bulbs.

Thanks, Loud. 'm going to give it a bit more of a pull. It's funny how easy something comes apart if you KNOW it's supposed to. For instance, the lights under the "oh ish" handles in the back seat. The first one took me forever and I ended up dissecting that whole thing and putting it back together. In the process, I found out that the bulb assembly pulls out, it just takes way more force than expected. On the second one I went straight for it and was done in 3 minutes. Spoiler alert: if you need a torx (star) driver you are doing too much lol

Worse case scenario you snip the leads (batt disconnected) and provide some extension which you could easily bundle up in there when closing it up. A couple longer leads with, heat shrink tubing and some fancy micro soldering and you could be in business. ~ just a thought, myself I haven't ventured up in that overhead console for bulb purposes, so I speak of zero percent experience. GLw/mod.

Both of mine were tight, but there was enough slack to get it done. The hard part on both was getting it to latch back in completely in the back.

Thanks guys. Yeah, joegr, i've read the tricks to getting the back snugged up again. I think that'll be ok. BigRig, before I do all that I'll just snap that sucker back up there. I guess the back seat will be first class with the nice lighting and the front will be coach lol.

Thanks guys. Yeah, joegr, i've read the tricks to getting the back snugged up again. I think that'll be ok. BigRig, before I do all that I'll just snap that sucker back up there. I guess the back seat will be first class with the nice lighting and the front will be coach lol.

Do tell the tricks you speak of. I have not done the lights in mine but the rear side of that plastic housing just won't stay snug to the headliner.

Do tell the tricks you speak of. I have not done the lights in mine but the rear side of that plastic housing just won't stay snug to the headliner.

There's a thread or two where they say that there is a piece that the rear tabs are meant to snap back into (makes sense), but when you push up on the rear of the housing it pushes that part up also. If you have a sunroof, you can open it and use a long screw driver to reach through and press down on that piece so that the rear of the housing will snap in like it should.

yes, the plastic that the light snaps into, moves up when you press on it. this makes it hard to get it to snap back in

So I ended up sticking my cell phone alll up in that overhead area with the flash on and the camera running. I saw that The wiring was bundled up in some amber colored resin type stuff. I poked and snipped at it with a screwdriver and long needle nosed pliers until I removed enough to give the wiring a good pull and free it up and get some slack. After that I was able to get them bulbs changed.

LOL you know what? I hadn't looked at the lights again since I made this thread and forgot about you saying that. I had it in the back of my mind, but for some reason I was thinking tape instead of glue. Probablu because there was tape keeping part of the back seat light assembly from being pulled down when I did them. Thanks Loud!

Members online

Back