issue with my electronic parking brake

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Did my rear brakes and couldnt for the life of me figure out how to release the parking brake module (the cable that hooks onto the module itself) so i removed the caliper completely and now I cannot get the cable back onto the module. Any help would be much appreciated.

2005 LS 3.0

There is no need to release or disconnect the parking brake cable when changing the pads. The correct way to do it is to use the correct tool to screw the piston back into place. Until you do this, you will not have enough slack to reconnect the brake cable.

Installation

1. Using the special tool, compress the brake caliper piston into the disc brake caliper.
  • s6x~us~en~file=n0037031.gif~gen~ref.gif
  1. Position the notch in the caliper piston up and down to align with the alignment pin on the brake pad.
  1. Install the new spring clips and brake pads.
  1. Position the brake caliper and install the 2 bolts.
    • Tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb-ft).

That's all very interesting, but please note - THE LS USED AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM. Having that video here is just going to confuse and completely mislead anyone looking to do the brakes on the LS.

The system shown uses a motor on each caliper, and is similar to some Hyundai and BMW systems (probably others too). The LS used a central motor mounted above the rear axle that pulls on two mechanical cables (one for each caliper). It does not have the mode shown in the video, and there is no way to retract the piston other than screwing it in, since there is no motor on the back of the caliper to screw it in for you. PLEASE, if you are going to help, be sure that you know what you are doing and have specific advice and experience with this car! Your tag line quote applies here...

Yup, definitely have to screw in the rears, not the fronts though. First ones I've ever seen that you had to screw in and I've changed pads on a few different vehicles, it got me too, lol!

the new transit is left hand thread on one side and right hand on the other

Early 2000's Hondas had the same setup... and Honda still uses it.

Many manufacturers use it now. Pretty much anything with rear disc brakes.
I guess I've changed way more front brakes than rears, changed my 2013 super duty twice on front and never in rear, they still look new at 138k miles, lol, wish you could adjust them so they actually do some braking!

You want less braking in the rear to prevent tail spin out. Don't ask how I know that.
Ha, yea I'm aware, but like i said it's at 135k and the rear pads still look new, that's crazy. I've changed the front twice.

I always wore the rear pads out first on my old 2003 LS because with no Limited Slip rear end the rear brakes are used a bunch for traction control. So I guess it depends on how you drive especially taking off and turning. Really bad when doing that.

Yes I also have the Harbor Freight brake kit. It's surprisingly good quality. I had the cube first and always struggled using it but I will say I did a bunch of brake jobs with it but it was fiddly every time I used it.

Now it's almost a pleasure to spin the caliper pistons back in!

Members online

No members online now.
Back