Is there anyway to read what chip a key has in it

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to help someone program a key, and it keeps failing. Only one key will program and I suspect it's their keys that are not legit, and have the wrong chip. Is there anyway to use software and use my ELM 327 to read the keys when they are inserted and see what chip they have in them? I am trying to make sure this guy does not have some other kinda of problem before trying to talk him into going to the dealer for his new key.

Not as I know of.
There is no need to get a new chip key from a dealer. Most locksmiths sell them for less. They can be had for even less from eBay.

Not as I know of.
There is no need to get a new chip key from a dealer. Most locksmiths sell them for less. They can be had for even less from eBay.
The issue was he kept getting bad or fake keys. The only reason I told him to go to the ford place is there was only $10 difference in the price of the key, and it would have for sure been the correct one. He got lucky the 3rd time of purchasing it from the locksmith this go around, and I got him up and running again. I told him to a locksmith or the dealer to get the keys to begin with, but he ordered them on walmart.com twice and got screwed. I told him before I began that I needed 2 legit keys or his truck would be sitting there until he got them for me because of the security. It took me 4 trips to his house about 40 miles total each time so it took its toll on me to say the least.

Members online

No members online now.
Back