Is there any how-to pages about replacing the transmission

386Motoring

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a guide of some sort.... just so i can follow it step by step. The LS is on the lift and i'm gearing up and grabbing tools. Any help would be awesome. Thanks LVC!

Just start from the back and work your way to the front. Its not as hard as you would think. Lay your bolts and parts out so you will easily recognize where they came from.

So far i have everything removed and unbolted... I'm stuck on the top 4 bolts from the bellhousing to the block. I can't see them, nor can i stuck my hand in there to feel for them. Would removing the shifter inside help? I'm kinda stumped. Thanks for any advice :)

ok....

My transmission is removed.... Found out the torque converter only has 4 studs and the one in my car has 8 studs. I assumed that maybe i was sent the torque converter for the 6 cylinder model. Also, the transmission looks exactly the same but has "163" on the yellow tag and mine says "151"

I'm driving 2 hours to get a torque converter tomorrow and its time to start installing.

Thanks again Owlman... those directions really helped out a bunch!

blowing it out would be better than nothing but you could take the radiator out and take it to a tranny shop that has a flusher for a small fee. just an idea.

Step 1. Take it to a Transmission shop

Step 2. Pick it up from the transmission shop

Step 3. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

where did you get the fitting from to put fluid back in the trans? thats the only thing keeping me from doing my own trans flushes

where did you get the fitting from to put fluid back in the trans? thats the only thing keeping me from doing my own trans flushes

Your local auto parts store. There is a hand pump with a small hose that you screw on to the oil bottle. Then you just pump the oil in like lotion

I wanted to tackle my own transmission cause i've never done it on a newer model. It was the same thing as older cars i have worked on except a few more electrical plugs. Those directions from owlman really clarified it to me. Thanks again LVC.

I'm waiting on the correct torque converter and then the new trans is going in. So far i'm at $700 for a replacement. That includes paying my neighbor to help me walk the transmission into place.

ok... i got the correct torque converter now. They gave me the V6 converter with only 4 studs rather then the 8 studs. I'm printing the directions from Owlman and headed out. Wish me luck!!!

Members online

Back