Is there a wider tire I could put on the 16 inch wheel

67Continental

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there a wider tire I could put on the 16 inch wheel that would not change the speedometer? As in, I keep 225's on the front but put a wider tire on the back that is the same height? What size would such a tire be?

cool - that's a nifty application - so it wouldn't look too weird with those on the back and the stock tires on the front? would I notice any handling irregularities?

I dont know about how that would drive,

and like I said that 245-55-16 is a match for our 225-60-16 ..... but that is a rare .

245-50-16 are lower by a little , and you can run them all the away around.... I've heard

buddylee said:
I dont know about how that would drive,

and like I said that 245-55-16 is a match for our 225-60-16 ..... but that is a rare .

245-50-16 are lower by a little , and you can run them all the away around.... I've heard
The 255/50 is closer to stock diameter, 1/2" shorter. 235/55/16 match the 255/50/16 in height, hard to find matched set thou.

i am looking for wider meats for the back - but not if that 1/2 inch of height difference is going to make everything drive all weird....

A widder tire does not mean a larger contact patch, It means a wider tire. In the right combo of rim width and aspect rato to give you the most rubber on the road and the tire to match that, you should run all 4 tire the same size. tire comapnes is also key, a company like http://www.frisbyracetire.com/
can get you what you want, trust me that little $hit at sears has no idea what he is saying about anything. I know Mr. Frisby and most of the staff, they are grate and know there stuff

I Have The Right Answer

67Continental said:
Is there a wider tire I could put on the 16 inch wheel that would not change the speedometer? As in, I keep 225's on the front but put a wider tire on the back that is the same height? What size would such a tire be?

I USE TO WORK FOR 9 YEARS AT DISCOUNT TIRE SO HERE GOES. FIRST TAKE THE 225/60/16 AND TAKE AN S,T,HR,VR,ZR SPEED RATING AND THE ACTUAL CONTACT PATCH IS DIFFERENT, AND ON DIFFERENT BRANDS IT IS DIFFERENT. FOR EXAMPLE THE STOCK MICHELIN HR TIRES ARE 8.9 INCH SECTION WIDTH BUT THE CONTACT PATCH IS 7.1. AND A ZR RATED GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 TIRE IS 8.9 INCHES WIDE SECTION WIDTH AND 8.3 INCHES CONTACT PATCH. ALSO Z RATED TIRES ARE KINDA SQUARE FROM EDGE TO TOP OF TREAD WHERE THE S,T HR'S ARE ROUNDED. DONT GET VR TIRES AS THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE. ALSO BRIDGESTONE POTENZAS 750'S ARE ALSO 8.1 INCH CONTACT PATCH. THE PROBLEM WITH PUTTING 245 50 16 TIRES ON THIS RIM, THE RIM IS 7 INCHES WIDE AND THE 245'S REQUIRE A MINIMUM RIM OF 7.5 INCHES. YOU WILL GET BALANCING ISSUES AND WHEN YOU CORNER YOU WILL GET SWAY AND WILL LOOSE CORNERING PERFORMANCE. GET THE 225/60/16 TIRE IN AN EAGLE F1 OR POTENZA BRIDGESTONE 750 AND YOU WILL PAY $165 A TIRE AND THEY WILL KILL THOSE 245'S, I KNOW AS I TRIED IT. BRIDGESTONE HAS A 30 TRIAL ON THERE TIRES HERE IN VEGAS. I TOOK BACK THOSE 245'S AND GOT THE 225 60 16 IN THE ZR AND IT IS AMAZING, PLUS YOU KEEP STOCK HEIGHT AND THE ZR HAS A STIFF 4 PLY SIDEWALL SO THE RIDE IS FIRMER WHEN CORNERING AND ZR RUBBER IS STICKY AND GETS BETTER TRACTION. THE LOWER THE TREADWEAR RATING, THE SOFTER THE RUBBER COMPOUND AND THE HARDER IT IS TO SPIN THE TIRES. THE HIGHER THE TREADWEAR, IE A 600-800 RATING THE HARDER THE RUBBER COMPOUND AND THE EASIER IT IS TO SPIN THE TIRES AND THE SIDEWALL WILL COMPRESS MORE GIVING THAT BULGE BETWEEN THE RIM AND THE GROUND. MY SIDEWALLS ON THE ZR TIRE I HAVE ARE SQUARE OR FLUSH. YOU CAN PUT A RULER FROM THE RIM EDGE AND IT TOUCHES THE TIRE ALL THE WAY TO GROUND. TRUST ME THIS IS YOUR BEST OPTION. MY PICS HAVE THE STOCK TIRES AND SOON I WILL UPDATE PICS OF MY MARK. IF YOU DONT BELEIVE ME, GOTO GOODYEARS WEBSITE AND FIND OUT BY SEARCHING DIFFERENT TIRES. COMPARE THE EAGLE F1 WITH THE EAGLE GA ON THE SITE AND YOU WILL SEE THE SECTION WIDTHS ARE ALL THE SAME FOR A 225/60/16 BUT THE CONTACT PATCHES ARE ALL DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON MODEL AND MANUFACTURER. GOODYEAR HAS AN INFORMATIVE WEBSITE, OR GOTO YOUR LOCAL TIRE DEALER AND COMPARE A Z RATED EAGLE F1 OR YOUR CHOICE OF ZR RATED TIRE WITH A T OR S RATED TIRE AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. IF YOU WANT 245'S GET THE 17 INCH RIMS WITH 8 INCH WIDTH AND GET ZR RATED TIES AS THIS FORMULA HOLDS TRUE IN EVERY SIZE. GOOD LUCK. :) :) :) :) :) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I believe for 255s the mim rim width is 7, so i dont know why 245s would need 7.5. but ya whatever

245/50/16's work great all around but the car needs to be sensor lowered to fill in the gap if you know what I mean. Also, the design of the tire is more important than the size. Don't expect all season 245's to hook better than max performance summer 225's...

I have 255-50-16 bf goodrich g-force somthing or others on the ass of my lincoln. Alot better traction than the 225's. Hell before I put the 255's on and installed a posi I would leave a 250-300 foot patch of rubber on the left side. Now I barley spin the tires. In the summer on hot asphalt there is no spin at all

I am no expert by any stretch, but 95LSC 2FAST4U sounds very well informed and logical. I read somewhere that the rim should be no less wide than 80% of the tire width and 7" is 79% of 225mm if you do the math (7inches = 177.8mm). Anything less and you will begin to experience performance issues such as squiggly or noodly sidewalls especially in cornering. I have read about these complaints on 1010 tires websites as well as other tire review sites and when they provide the details of their problem it is almost always a case of tires too wide for the rim. The stock rims for the Mark are borderline for 225 tires at 79%, if you wish to have wider tires consider wider rims too. Just a humble opinion.

I had 130 track passes with no issues with 245/50/16's... this is not a hypothesis, this is personal experience: they are fine in all respects...

Members online

No members online now.
Back