Is there a way to test coils?

Hernandez

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
im going to change spark plugs of my car after 2 years. i dont want to pay a lot for the coils and i know they are expensive. so is there a way to test them? with a multimeter or something like that?

and also should i get the basic platinum spark plugs or should i upgrade them for those 4 electrodes or iridium?

Absolutely, have a friend come over to help you, get a decent sized flat head screw driver, remove one coil pack at a time while keeping it connected to the harness, hold coil in one hand and with the screw driver in the other, insert the head into where the sparkplug would connect in the boot. Have your friend bump the ignition over and there you go, you'll know if its working or not, repeat 5 or 7 more times depending on the engine in your LS. :D

Go with the standard Motorcraft replacements for the plugs.

Unfortunately, the test mentioned above won't weed out the marginal coils.
(Note that if you find the test too painful, use your left hand to hold the screwdriver and stand on your left foot only. All of your pain will be over before long.)

Here is the full testing that needs to be done.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2009-12-10_200445_02_Escape_COP_misfire_tsb05-22-08.pdf

Given the expense of the equipment involved and the experience/skill required, it is cheaper/easier to just replace all of them.

Absolutely, have a friend come over to help you, get a decent sized flat head screw driver, remove one coil pack at a time while keeping it connected to the harness, hold coil in one hand and with the screw driver in the other, insert the head into where the sparkplug would connect in the boot. Have your friend bump the ignition over and there you go, you'll know if its working or not, repeat 5 or 7 more times depending on the engine in your LS. :D

i dont think this will work as modt screw drivers have a plastic or rubble handle, i would just use a 6" or longer 1/4"socket extender

Hopefully hernandez knows you guys are joking.

If you dont think it will work go try it.

Do you know it will work by experience? :p Does the alt really put out that much juice to hurt that bad?

So joe, are you saying doing this while holding the screw driver in your left hand while standing on your left foot will make your heart stop, or was that also a joke?

Do you know it will work by experience? :p Does the alt really put out that much juice to hurt that bad?

the whole point of a coil is to convert the normal 12v the car has into one tiny super powerfull shot of power (again and again)

long story short, yes it will hurt like a b!tch, kinda like getting tasered

Damn! I've never been tasered, but i've seen video's. Well it's good to know

If you dont think it will work go try it.

so the spark wont go though the rubber coil boot, but it will go through a plastic or rubber handle?

wouldn't it just be easier to just remove the boot and stick the spring on my tongue just like testing a 9v battery?

So joe, are you saying doing this while holding the screw driver in your left hand while standing on your left foot will make your heart stop, or was that also a joke?

Under perfectly bad circumstances, a heart might be stopped by 30V. However, with the 30,000 volts or so that the coil can produce, your chances are much better (or worse, as I look at it).

ok so i tested my coils with all the tests.(the tongue one hurt the worst) I found the bad one but my hospital bills have made me broke. so the coil will have to wait...

im kidding.

But to conclude this thread, there is no good way to test the coils?

Cant I buy one, and keep moving it from cylinder to cyclinder until the car drives right? Assuming there in only one bad coil of course...

ok so i tested my coils with all the tests.(the tongue one hurt the worst) I found the bad one but my hospital bills have made me broke. so the coil will have to wait...

im kidding.

But to conclude this thread, there is no good way to test the coils?

Cant I buy one, and keep moving it from cylinder to cyclinder until the car drives right? Assuming there in only one bad coil of course...

Yes, there is a good way.
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/05-22-08.pdf

Cant I buy one, and keep moving it from cylinder to cyclinder until the car drives right?

Does a retired marine drill Sargent make a horrible therapist?

but this is the tricky part

Assuming there in only one bad coil of course...

because if you have two (or more ) marginal coils, then you would never know when you got one of the bad ones out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back