Is there a known PATS issue with the 2nd gens?

smdandb2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has started this obnoxious habit of killing the motor after starting it.

This is the 2nd time now I have started it and gotten ready to leave and it just dies. The light on the dash starts blinking and it wont start until I remove the key and put it back in.

I figure its something to do with the PATS.

My car has started this obnoxious habit of killing the motor after starting it.

This is the 2nd time now I have started it and gotten ready to leave and it just dies. The light on the dash starts blinking and it wont start until I remove the key and put it back in.

I figure its something to do with the PATS.

It shouldn't be. PATS specifically will not stop a running engine. It only prevents you from starting the engine. As a safety feature, it won't stop the engine once it is running even if the key stops reading.

I would suspect something else.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xj1b06.htm~gen~ref.htm

Notice the last entry in the chart.

HAHA, I don't like that chart. It looks expensive. I'll have my friend at Ford hook it up and pull all the codes (if any are present).

It dies, but then the light flashes rapidly. That is why I thought it might be PATS related.

Thanks.

mine does the exact same thing (first gen) And has annoyed me to no end. It seems to do it more when the gas is low, but the light on the dash will rapid flash. I replaced the key (like 90 f'in$) and it made no difference. I'm stumped. It also seems like if I rush the start, by just sticking the key in, and starting real quick, it happens more. If I put the key in, turn it to run, then wait for the pats light to go out, then it does it less often.

Good Luck, mine has done it for 2 years, if you fix it, let me know...

mine does the exact same thing (first gen) And has annoyed me to no end. It seems to do it more when the gas is low, but the light on the dash will rapid flash. I replaced the key (like 90 f'in$) and it made no difference. I'm stumped. It also seems like if I rush the start, by just sticking the key in, and starting real quick, it happens more. If I put the key in, turn it to run, then wait for the pats light to go out, then it does it less often.

Good Luck, mine has done it for 2 years, if you fix it, let me know...

That is one thing I have noticed for sure. It seems to happen when I rush starting the car.

Maybe I will just take my time and see what happens.

My '06 did something similar when the battery got drained (my charger said it was at 0%) in December--when I put the booster on it, it would start, run for a second or two, then die. My theory is that the booster was enough to get it started, but not enough to keep the field up on the alternator, so when the car drew enough for the booster's voltage to drop, the engine died. Getting a full charge in the battery solved the problem.

mine did it before and after a new battery (at the suggestion of Joegr) but unlike you guys, mine doesn't run. it only cranks with the pats light strobing, once it starts, it stays running.

Members online

Back