Is the Mark Vlll A Classic

texstead

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am into classic cars & have a '79 El Camino. But I was thinking the other day about my Lincoln Mark Vlll & said to myself, "My Mark has to be just as much of a classic as my Elky."

What do you guys think?

It's not really looked upon as such now, but I think it certainly will be in the future.

Depends on who you ask. I bet 95% of the Mark VIII members on this board would agree! Maybe in about 15 more years when Mark VIII's are still running and going for $50,000 plus on eBay.

Lol all cars eventually become classics... but I think the blackwood will become a classic before the Mark VIII does just because it was only around 2 years and imma get me one!

the mark is a classic in its own circles and in its own time. It is true that all cars become "classics" but few become CLASSIC CARS. The car that every gearhead can tell you from memory the engines and packages and could pick one out on the road just by a glance of a tail light. I think the mark will be a classic, but never a classic car. Its not popular enough now, which is when it counts. Ask many of the mustang owners, they have never heard of a mark.

AMCs were a joke back in the day, late 60s-early70s, look at the AMX and Javelin now. I think the Mark will be and is a classic, its an incredible car with a unique balance of power and luxury. Whens the next 2-door Lincoln planned? What ever happened to the hump in the trunk? I got friends that don't even know what it is, and can't believe the power it has and how slick it is. How many cars can you lower for free? I already treat my Mark as a classic, its in a heated garage and my LSE is outside.

MrWilson said:
the mark is a classic in its own circles and in its own time. It is true that all cars become "classics" but few become CLASSIC CARS. The car that every gearhead can tell you from memory the engines and packages and could pick one out on the road just by a glance of a tail light. I think the mark will be a classic, but never a classic car. Its not popular enough now, which is when it counts. Ask many of the mustang owners, they have never heard of a mark.

So true.... Mr Wilson spoken like an older man

Dern Humpus said:
It is just as much of a classic as your el camino. Neither is.

There are a lot of people who go crazy over el caminos, I would say it is a classic. They are getting harder to find.

MrWilson said:
Ask many of the mustang owners, they have never heard of a mark.

Most Mustang owners (myself included) know and respect the Mark VIII.

scott9050 said:
Most Mustang owners (myself included) know and respect the Mark VIII.

you also own a mark :rolleyes:
The only time my buddy ever gave a second look at a mark was when mine beat his 5-slow.

turborich said:
There are a lot of people who go crazy over el caminos, I would say it is a classic. They are getting harder to find.

The "G" body elkey in my book is not, and should NEVER be concidered a classic car. besides the SS. The only good "g" body is an SS. The other ones are sloppy and crude. (the A body actually goes to 1980, most people dont know that. They think the G body starts with the 3rd gen of monte's. Just a little misconstrued history)
Now, talk about a 69 elkey, a TRUE SS elkey, then ill perk my ears.

buddylee said:
So true.... Mr Wilson spoken like an older man

Why thank you sir.

MrWilson said:
you also own a mark :rolleyes:
The only time my buddy ever gave a second look at a mark was when mine beat his 5-slow.

I also owned my Mustang for 7 years before I owned my first Mark, and I knew all about it before hand:rolleyes:

I think that the Marks will in time,think about it the Mark VIII is the sleakest most sexy car ever built even to this day.It was way ahead of its time.Im sure glad I got one.

KainDTE said:
Lol all cars eventually become classics... but I think the blackwood will become a classic before the Mark VIII does just because it was only around 2 years and imma get me one!
So you consider a 79' civic hatchback a classic?

Mr. Wilson! Maybe 16-20 year old mustang owners might not recognize marks. But everytime I cruise, older guys pull up next to me in their new and old mach's Gt's etc. nod to me or say "hey kid!, nice car!". The younger group of mustang owners think that they're the sh1t and old grandpa cars dont appeal to them, which is their reason behind buying a mustang. Its a young hip car that everybody recognizes even if they arent associated with cars in any way.

JC1994 said:
I think the Mark VIII is the best looking car body wise, ford has ever made, IMO that makes it a classic.

It is a nice design but lets not go overboard. When I heard the Mark looks like a bar of soap it was very funny but when I saw a Mark with one of those backwards hood scoops (which I really don't care for), it reminded me of a shark. I like the Mark but I will say it's one of Ford's bests designs not the best design.

ALBUNDY said:
It is a nice design but lets not go overboard. When I heard the Mark looks like a bar of soap it was very funny but when I saw a Mark with one of those backwards hood scoops (which I really don't care for), it reminded me of a shark. I like the Mark but I will say it's one of Ford's bests designs not the best design.
Name some other cars that look as nice as the mark viii, exterior styling wise besides the Mustangs which arent too appealing to me, especially now a days with the gaudy body kits and so forth that various companies offer for the cars.

Do you really want a list of cars from the past that IMO look just as good if not better than the Mark design. Ford has been around a long time and trust me the Mark isn't the best design they have come up with. If you compare it to current Ford cars the Mustange, LS & the Zepher will give the Mark a run for its money but are we talking design and style or design and performance?

I'm going to have to agree with Wilson on this one. A 79 El Camino is totally not a classic.

Will the Mark VIII be a classic? Hold your breath real good, because the early 80s Lincolns are 25+ years old now, and none of them are even remotely desirable. If they do get to become classics, I think that only those of us under the age of 25 will ever live to see it.

Staff online

Members online

Back