Is my tranny or TC going bad?

h2osho

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday after I stopped and tried to put my car into reverse, the gear shift would NOT move. It stayed in D and wouldn't move. I tried this for a couple of minutes and then decided to keep driving forward. After a few miles I stopped again and it did go into R.

Now this morning the car seems to surge more when shifting gears and I've noticed the RPM's fluctuating which I think would be the torque converter. Since we cant check our fluid through a dipstick (stupid FoMoCo move) I'm resigned to driving to my trustworthy mechanic and see if he suggests a fluid and filter change?

I have a 2000 V8 with 93,000 miles and out of the blue the trans seems to be hiccupping more than ever before.

I'll take all suggestions to help save or alleviate my problems, short of a replacement!

One more thing I noticed after getting into the office. On the way while driving on a flat road I had the cruise set at 62mph. The RPM's were steady at 2100, then about every minute or so the RPM's would jump up to 2900 then right back down again. It did this over and over again and the car would slightly surge when this would happen.

TC?? Need fresh or more fluid?

my 2000ls used to do the same thing, both on freeway and driving around in traffic, the dealership told me it was due to my misfire (which was fixed and it still did it) then i got my car out of the shop today for overheating (they replaced radiator and thermostat) and it fixed it...for some reason my bad radiator was affecting start up (cranked for a good 10 sec everytime) and it affected the rpms fluctuating all over the place'
hope it helps, sounds strange but true

Members online

No members online now.
Back