Is it worth it?

87 LSC

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I found a 91 Mark VII LSC, but it only cost $500. I looks goods and sounds good. It just seems that they would ask for more. Does anyone think that this is a good buy, or something that will cost me later?

They probably just want to get rid of it because it's got some hidden problem. Check the thing out thoroughly. These cars can be electrical nightmares sometimes.

I know all about the electrical problems, I already have an 87 LSC. I know that in overdrive it dosent want to work, but I have a trany to put in that works. And the right headlight needs replaced. Otherwise the brakes work, and so does the air ride. I will be there this saturday to look at it closer though.

Why does the headlight need replaced? Was it in an accident? It might have frame damage that is covered up. Also make sure that it has a clear title. Otherwise you can probably part it out for what you are buying it for.

if u can fix car then get it if not check it out goooodddd.
if you have another one it would be a get parts car.
any pics. get our vote.

In the case of it being a parts car, can I use the parts from a 91 on an 87? I know I could use some of the parts but I would also like them to bolt right on. As for the headlight damage, I will check the frame for damage.
The major thing that I could use off this car are the air bags, will they work on mine. From what Im told they will, but everyone here knows more.
Thanks

Most of the parts will interchange, but there will be many differences. The bags will work the same, but be aware of the difference between Bill Blass bags and LSC bags. The 87 probably has the non-HO engine and the 91 will have the HO engine. The interior is different between the 91 and 87, mostly just the door panels and dash.

Black87LSC said:
The door panels are different too???

Yes, but just the way that they sit against the dash. Since the dash is different the door panels are as well so that they fit together properly.

87 LSC said:
The lincoln that I have has the 5L HO engine.

Awesome. 1987 was a transitional year for the Mark VII with some getting the 225 HP H.O. engine while others got the last of the 200 HP non-H.O. engine.

OK, I looked at it a little closer. The body is in good shape no rust. The frame is good, someone backed into it so thats why the headlight is broken. The brakes dont work that well, but theres not alot of fluid in it. 177,000 miles. The inside is in pretty good shape. The air ride works, the bags look new. The steering doesnt feel right, but I have the parts to fix it. And the last thing is that its leaking oil, something about the front seal. How hard would that be to fix?

Most of these engines are leaking oil by the time they hit that high of a mileage. A lot of the time this is due to the PCV valve not being changed regularly, so you would want to do that and remove the screen below it before trying to fix an oil leak. I do not know what a "front seal" is, but I would imagine they are refering to somewhere on one of the intakes or valve covers. As long as it is not the rear main seal it is a relatively easy fix. You can change out the intake and valve cover seals on a Saturday for around $20.

First would it be worth it to fix it up? If so how would I change that seal? How hard it would be to change it, and how much the part(s) cost?

87 LSC said:
First would it be worth it to fix it up?
Yes.
87 LSC said:
If so how would I change that seal?
Take it to a shop and pay about $750.00 (all labor)
87 LSC said:
How hard it would be to change it, and how much the part(s) cost?
Not very if you have a garage and tool and lots of time and parts and bandages. Almost everything on the front end that you touch to get to the cover will need a new gasket or resealing or just plain changing.

177,000 is definately over haul time.

87 LSC said:
First would it be worth it to fix it up? If so how would I change that seal? How hard it would be to change it, and how much the part(s) cost?

Would it be worth it to fix up? Yes, provided you have the tools and the know how. Otherwise you're gonna be paying through the nose for labor charges.

Just keep in mind that it's a $500 car. You're going to get what you pay for. The brakes may need a new accumulator, maybe stuck calipers, etc. Could be anything. If you can't fix what's wrong with it, I'd pass on it. Or get it and part it out - you'd probably make 4 times your money back.

Never changed a front seal, but I can't imagine it being that hard. Again, some mechanical skills and the right tools are key. Check rockauto.com for the seal. I think it's like 15 bucks or so.

I was told that the rear brakes were changed and thats when they stopped working. Thats the same thing that happened with the mark that I have now.As for changing the seal, I think that I could do it, all that I would need is to know the parts that are needed so I can get them ahead of time. All I know is that I would like to see both of these cars working if I get the 91.

mespock said:
John has never met a Mark VII he wouldn't save! good to see you still posting OS... You're one great guy!
Thanks Rich but I need to change that to "one great broke guy".
NYC LSC said:
Would it be worth it to fix up? Yes, provided you have the tools and the know how. Otherwise you're gonna be paying through the nose for labor charges.
This is truly one of those "95% labor" jobs.
NYC LSC said:
Just keep in mind that it's a $500 car. You're going to get what you pay for. The brakes may need a new accumulator, maybe stuck calipers, etc. Could be anything. If you can't fix what's wrong with it, I'd pass on it. Or get it and part it out - you'd probably make 4 times your money back.
I missed that part ... the "what happens after I get this" part. A lot of us forget that seller Dude is unloading something for a reason. Unless the car is really looked over and approved then yeah, parting could be an alternative. $1500 - $2000 return is real world if you can store sell the parts in like two months without storage fees or the like.
NYC LSC said:
Never changed a front seal, but I can't imagine it being that hard. Again, some mechanical skills and the right tools are key. Check rockauto.com for the seal. I think it's like 15 bucks or so.
For my 1990, it was one more of those "mightAsWell" items when I had the heads done so yeah ... I've never done it either :)

Members online

Back