Is it too Low? Also Tranny Question

Hector

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a 2003 Cartier with the fake vinyl roof top. 198k miles.

Some info: I bought it with 150k miles as my daily driver and immediately started replacing the typical stuff in about a year I've almost put 50k miles as my 2nd car. I'm a Realtor so I put miles on like no other so my logic was this is a 4.6 which will run forever if maintained and it has plenty of space under the hood to work on and the interior as well. I even put snow tires on it and it was great. Last month I was going to get rid of it but within a week while my other car (2000 LS8 timing chains) was down my rad fan gave out so I installed a new one then 2 days later the coolant nipple on the intake blew so I installed a new intake, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner. Then I had misfires left and right (coolant got all my coils wet) so I installed new coils and plugs and finally on Friday of that week I put a new alternator and battery in it. I dropped $1k into it that week since I had nothing else to drive and had to buy the parts locally instead of online. I'm thinking about keeping it now since its probably worthless to sell.

I have two questions.

1. Does my car look low in the front? It had airbags in the rear but they were replaced with springs prior to me buying it. I've seen other townies same body style and some look similar in front height while others do appear to be higher. I've priced the quick struts and thought may as well press in new lower/upper ball joints and install link kits. Think its causing my tires to wear on the inside faster.

2. My O/D light comes on from time to time and it hesitates when in 2nd gear to where I have to accel a lil harder for it to move in decent speed to reach 3rd gear and especially in hilly conditions. No hard kicks or anything of that sort but if I put the lever in 1 its ok and stays running but if I put it in #2 at idle it hesitates and shuts off. I have noticed when braking fast it seems to want to shut off as if it bogs the engine down and sometimes there is a clacking/humming noise which after inspection can only be coming from the tranny. I did a fluid/filter change about 20k miles ago. Tranny shops want my car for a day+ to see what's the problem or $1500-$2000 to rebuild it and that would be 5 business days since no one appears to stock a reman tranny. I'm thinking about just buying a junkyard tranny or ordering a reman for $1200 and trying my luck since this car probably isn't worth another 2k in repairs. It doesn't shudder just slow in 2nd gear. 1st is fine and 3-5th no issues smooth as hell. I've never removed a tranny on a rear wheel drive car even thought in theory its relatively easier than a front wheel drive which I have done in the past.

If I keep it and fix it I'll have to do maybe the timing chains and some gaskets on the engine to ensure it will last and not die.....hope the rear end lives long enough because it sure will suck to repair the tranny just for the engine or rear end to give out.

Any input would be appreciated.

20151030_133258.jpg

20151030_133258.jpg

1. I don't think it looks low in the front. It's likely high in the rear with no self-leveling with the springs.

2. OD light coming on is usually a bad sign but you may want to scan for DTC code. It could be something as minor as a TCC solenoid.

1. I don't think it looks low in the front. It's likely high in the rear with no self-leveling with the springs.

2. OD light coming on is usually a bad sign but you may want to scan for DTC code. It could be something as minor as a TCC solenoid.

Hmm good one. I didn't think about that. I thought it looked similar to others on the rear height.

My scanner does OEM specific codes but can't pull tranny codes :(. I've called around and all the shops say to check the code they need the car to be left for a day and even longer to determine the specific cause. I wouldn't mind paying the $2k if they were to install a reman the same day but they all want to rebuild mine which would leave me without a car for a week or longer. Rental car would run $300-$500....time is ticking so either it will happen planned or as a surprise. :cool:

Members online

Back