Is it time to say goodbye to the LS?

perpetualchange

LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 LS V.6.

I'm neither wealthy nor handy - especially not handy enough for this car. Love the car, but hate what it costs to maintain.

I'd be fine spending a couple thousand getting all the issues sorted out, but with the Lincoln it seems like it's always one thing after another.

I need something reliable that can get me to work.

Should I just sell or is there a light at the end of the tunnell for LS ownership?

This is my first real car, gift from family. It hurts to even think about saying goodbye... lol

you can never predict what will go wrong with any car. I've owned far more supposedly "reliable" cars that ive put much more money into than my LS over the last 5 years. Yes, the LS's have their problems, but so will any car. There's never a right or wrong answer to your question. It's just how comfortable you are whats been done and what you feel might go wrong in the future.

The only true answer I can give you is, yes... without a being "handy" around cars, you CAN spend more money repairing the LS over other cars. BUT, will you come out ahead buying something else vs keeping this...Thats the Million dollar question for everyone my friend.

Good Luck with whatever you do

Are you in Sewell, NJ? If so, take a drive up to Woodbridge one day or two and I can help you work on your car.

Yup, in NJ.

Thanks for the offer and the advice, guys. I definitely don't want to say goodbye to the LS, but I can't help thinking there's something out there with better mpg and cheaper maintenance.

Maybe I'm just being way too paranoid about some of the problems...

2005lincolnls.jpg

2005lincolnls.jpg

The problems you describe, once fixed, probably won't bug you again.

I put money into my LS every year, but they are a lot less than the car payments I'd make on a new car.

Well, considering your username, I'd say its time for you to get rid of the LS or your username would become somewhat unfitting wouldn't it? Just messing with you.

I'd say if you are not handy with cars (or have money for repairs) sell the LS and get something more economical. Replacing VCG's, COP's and spark plugs can cost you over $1000 at the dealer. I did that job for $300 because I did it myself. Thats just one example of many problems that can cost over $1000 to fix if you have to pay labor. Timing chain issues cost $700 for the kit but labor would be thousands more....If you dont have a passion for the LS, get something different. I have a passion for owning my LS and love to drive it every day. I am constantly modding it or replacing parts but I love it. I have long term plans for modding my LS beyond the origional motor and trans as well as the origional suspension and brakes.

I will keep my LS forever.

Go on.........
383 with 700r4. I am purchasing it from a friend to help him get out of debt. He bought the 383 brand new and it only has 2000 miles on it. The trans isnt new but it had a full rebuild when the 383 went in. Ford tuff with Chevy stuff I guess. I would rather do a 4.6 or 5.0 but the 383 is too good of deal to pass on.

Also doing a full custom rear subframe with adjustable camber. I already have all the material to do the subframe but I need to find a Mark VIII differential to install while I have everything apart.

Dont worry, He'll never get around to his plans!!!! :D

You know better...

Members online

Back