Is it safe ?

Asialee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone.. I was just wondering, how safe is it to add a fuel Injector cleaner to your car ? e.i. Gumout ?? and if so, how often should you do it ?

Thank you an have a good day !

I have used it off and on in many of my previous vehicle altho I stopped using it in my diesel, I would still recomend at the very least using it once in a while. The other option is to keep ur foot in it and "burn some of that carbon off":D

I used seafoam in my danger ranger (looked awesome throwing smoke) and got rid of a rough idle and gained a few MPGs.. Now she just needs a tune up.... And get that damn side fixed.. :rolleyes:

Techron is supposed to be one of the best. It's safe to use every so often (even as a double dose), but really you shouldn't have to. Gasoline has pretty good detergents in it already.

Gasoline has pretty good detergents in it already.

yep. pretty much. i've seen the inside of a few gas tanks and they are always pretty clean minus some chunks in the bottom or whatever.
just don't let the gas sit for a long time. that crap gets nasty. spent days cleaning out the gas tank on the XR7, gross...

Thanks for all your input on this.. Reason I ask is, when I'm getting at a red light or what not ( parked) and have the gear in D , she tends to idle a bit ruff.. but if I put it in "N" she runs smooth as can be.. any idea what this means ??

2004 LS 43,500

rough idle is bad coils.....#1 common problem with the ls.

Coil on pug ? are you serious ? Could it be anything else ?:( Wouldn't the CEL come on tho ??

Yes and not necessarily.. Like I said in the other thread, your's is covered under warranty and I would have them stress test them.. If need be, take it to another dealer..

Yes and not necessarily.. Like I said in the other thread, your's is covered under warranty and I would have them stress test them.. If need be, take it to another dealer..
to my understanding, the warranty only covers up to " two" coils.. Is that correct or has something changed along the way ?

Nope.. If all of them fail the stress test, all of them will get replaced.. And if they find oil in the plug wells, they'll replace the VCGs too (Valve Cover Gaskets)

Do they charge you for having the Stress test done or is that covered under the warrenty as well ??

Its free if one or more fails.. If none fail, there is a charge..

If the VCG are bad, IDK if they replace all the COPs or just the ones covered in oil..

LOL last question ( hopefully) in those docs, I believe Joe posted in my other thread, does it say in there about the stress test being free if they find a bad coil ? if so put me in the right direction, page wise so i can take a look :) Thank you so much for all your help !!!

Never mind.. i found it... again Ty for all your help on this matter :)

COPs won't necessarily set a hard CEL.

My 2004 V8 didn't have any serious symptoms except at about 30K miles(I think) it developed an occasional slight stumble at moderate freeway speed, barely feel it. Once in a while it would stumble bad and the CEL would flash(which from the manual, means ignition misfire). The CEL stayed off all the time.

I took it to the dealer and it took them 2 weeks to determine that it was COPs. They replaced one at a time until all of them were done. It seemed their diagnostic equipment couldn't nail it down. The field factory rep claimed I had used non OEM plug, ie NGK and was going to disallow warranty. DUH, NGK IS OEM and my car was as it was sold to me by the dealer at 14K miles, so assumed to be factory. This was back in about summer 2006 and was performed under warranty.

So just because the CEL isn't set, doesn't mean anything, AND, the COPs can be flakey and not be detected by the dealer mechanic.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim Henderson

so far the only time ive had a coil throw a code, is when it has finally failed and needs to replaced right away

COPs won't necessarily set a hard CEL.

My 2004 V8 didn't have any serious symptoms except at about 30K miles(I think) it developed an occasional slight stumble at moderate freeway speed, barely feel it. Once in a while it would stumble bad and the CEL would flash(which from the manual, means ignition misfire). The CEL stayed off all the time.

I took it to the dealer and it took them 2 weeks to determine that it was COPs. They replaced one at a time until all of them were done. It seemed their diagnostic equipment couldn't nail it down. The field factory rep claimed I had used non OEM plug, ie NGK and was going to disallow warranty. DUH, NGK IS OEM and my car was as it was sold to me by the dealer at 14K miles, so assumed to be factory. This was back in about summer 2006 and was performed under warranty.

So just because the CEL isn't set, doesn't mean anything, AND, the COPs can be flakey and not be detected by the dealer mechanic.

Just my 2 cents,

Jim Henderson
This sounds just like what my car is doing, except for the CEL flashing.. :shifty: So now I'm at a cross roads, do i wait till i get a "code" and then take it to the dealer or should i take it in now, for them to tell me that they "can't detect anything wrong" .. Wish i knew how to replace these coils myself lol

Members online

Back