Is it bad to leave the trans in 3rd in stop and go traffic?

Joshawa

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm on the highway, the cars get going up to about 25-30, nothing too high for third gear, and then slow back down to a halt. Is it bad to use sst to keep it in third gear to reduce the constant 1-2-3 shifts or is it harmful and should I let it shift on its own?

I don't know that it is harmful, but it is better to let it shift to reduce strain on the engine and maybe the transmission too. If there's nothing wrong with the transmission, then it won't hurt it to shift. If there is something wrong, then leaving it in one gear probably won't make a very big difference in how long it lasts. Better to get it fixed now, than later.

As joegr said it would be better to let it shift instead of taking off in 3rd gear. I myself would use 2nd gear to start and just ride 2nd gear to 30mph if needed. I highly doubt it would harm anything as long as you are not half throttle or better from a stop when taking off in 3rd.

I use the 2nd gear lock out on all my Ford automatics when in traffic. Aside from a degree or two warmer of engine temps from the extra work to take off I have not noticed anything alarming and I ride with my computer plugged in most of the time as well as service my transmissions every 15,000mi. No ill affects as of yet using the 2nd gear lock out in stop and go traffic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back