Is Blown Fuel Pump Fuse/Relay Always A Bad Fuel Pump?

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So, Irene just dumped like 10 inches of rain in Queens. Wife took the kid out in my '00 LS8 with 137K on it two days after and car died in neighborhood (thankfully not on a bridge somewhere). After digging around I found two things: a little water underneath the spare tire, and one bad fuse/one bad relay in the trunk junction box: the 15 Amp blue fuel pump fuse, and the 007 relay.

I've only owned this for 10K and first time it has happened, so need to check on fuel filter and break out fuel pressure gauge to check rail FP, but my questions are:

Is it probable that this suggests a fuel pump going bad, or could a really badly clogged fuel filter cause these fuses/relays to blow? Don't have all records but let's assume pump has never been changed. Might have been awhile since filter change.

Could a lot of heavy rain somehow blow these fuses/relays?

How about other fuel system components, anything else that would cause these to blow?

Will probably change pump anyway to be safe after fuel filter but any thoughts?

Thanks,

Turboguy

Well, it's either going to be a wiring short, loose fuse holder, or bad fuel pump.
The fuel pump may be bad because it's had to deal with a mostly clogged filter for too long, but I don't think that a fully clogged filter would cause the pump to blow a fuse.

Members online

Back