Introduction and question

tight240

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! New guy to the forums, but i have been browsing thru here for sometime now. Been an 2000 LS V8 owner for 5 years, and i never knew you guys were here until recent. Always tried to find a forum that were for the LS's but it seems that there not alot. Anyway, you guys motivated me to keep mine for a while since i was considering selling it :shifty:. Heres the reason why, found that my secondary timing chain tensioner took a crap on me........... go figures, so i decided to do the whole thing right and replace everything in there, which im glad i decided since the guides and tensioner arms were cracking. And im just now getting around to fixing it, but im stuck. Trying to figure out the right amount of tension on the primary chain but uncertain if i have the right amount. I have the directions and all about putting a tie strap around the guide and tensioner guide to take up the slack while tightening the cam sprocket bolt, but i just doesnt seem to be that tight.

Picture011.gif

thats the chain on rest

NewImage.gif

Picture001-1.gif
again at rest

Picture002-1.gif

:confused: is it suppose to have that much play? the tensioner arm side of the chain is nice and tight.

Now I'm not V8 LS guy I have a V6. The v6 there is no way to manually tenstion chains, its automaticly done by oil pressure that pumps up the hydr chain tentioners. On your 4th pic from bottom your finger is pointing to the tentioner correct? When you roll motor over the cams pull chains tight also.

the cam chain tensiors are hydraulic and will pump up on startup. Most ford ones have little hole in the side where you can see the teeth from the peg that pushes the guide, and I believe you can move it out either through a spring relese in that hole or manually to the next tooth.

@ right on the mark......... yea thats the tensioner arm i was pointing to in the last pic

@ m-waage........... o ok, i seen the oil entries in the tensioners, just off of reading the instructions where you had to install the zip tie to take up the slack in the chain, it kinda is misleading on how tight or how much play the chain is suppose to have after doing that. Gota love the factory instructions. Thanks for the help fellas, i guess i can go ahead further in putting it back together.

Members online

No members online now.
Back