Internet Guru's in here please

Roadboss

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a problem when I go to either Yahoo or Google to look up something. What I get now is a bunch of sites listing more searches. To illustrate this I went to Yahoo to put in a search for Summit racing. Photo #1 is what I have come up on the screen. Photo # 2 is what it should be in my opinion. Can anyone tell me what's up with all this. I am running Norton Internet Security and have scanned everything clean and also used Windows Defender for same. All suggestions appreciated

Summit 1.jpg

summit 3.jpg

I got that a few times. Clear you cookies and all. If that dont work DL Malwarebytes or use AVG. Norton blows!

I don't have a Yahoo account but I am guessing that it may have to do with your preferences or search options that can be changed when you visit the site. I do not think there is anything wrong with your computer or Norton (other than it is a big resource hog). Try to include the address as it appears in the address window with the photo's of the page, sometimes that may give a clue as to what is going on.
+1 for the AVG antivirus - free edition. I have used it for years without any issues. http://free.avg.com/ It won't play nice with Norton or Mcafee but it is robust enough to stand alone in their place.
Safe surfing

First I would back up my most important files.
I dont like Norton, its a hog and I have been burned in the past using it.
Me thinks it more then a cookie.
When is the last time you updated Norton ?
What are you using for a browser ?

Update; I have installed an run windows defender, and Malwarebytes. I also cleared all cookies. Norton is up to date and I scan my system on a regular weekly schedule and get updates regular. So far still the same.

It's BS... you have to use an uninstall tools... it's rediculous...

If I didn't need it to use the internet in my dorm room I wouldn't have it....

Hope you can solve your problem.
First a word about Norton, and most viruus protection programs in general.
With the exception of the ones that are free, logic dictates that the companies who create these programs also install viruses on computers so that they can sell more virus detection software.
Do any of you really think this is not happpening?
I only run one virus detection proogram on my computer (spybot search and distroy) and it has always worked well for me.
Norton, as stated, is a hog when it comes to using space on your hard drive.
Plus, the two times that I DID use Norton, soon after, my computer crashed.
I have not, and will not ever put Norton on my computer again.
Now, one more thing you should do besides clearing your cookies (damm, that sounds perverted) is to clean your computer of temporary web files.
To do this, open your browser, click on tools, in the drop down, click internet options.
Click on delete files.
This may solve your problem.
Let us know if it did.
Bob.

Thanks Bob for your imput. I regularly do what you suggested. My experience with Norton has been positive, for I don't have a space problem, and I like the on line service they provide even though it is expensive. I have crashed and burned several times in the past from some of these malware infestations and I find it more tolerable to work these thru them in my final analysis. This last episode had me puzzeled as I wasn't sure what was causing the situation, which is why I asked for some imput. I tried several suggested approachs, but ended up on line with symantic for 3 hours
getting the problem resolved. I am back to happy again.

Hope you can solve your problem.
First a word about Norton, and most viruus protection programs in general.
With the exception of the ones that are free, logic dictates that the companies who create these programs also install viruses on computers so that they can sell more virus detection software.
Do any of you really think this is not happpening?
I only run one virus detection proogram on my computer (spybot search and distroy) and it has always worked well for me.
Norton, as stated, is a hog when it comes to using space on your hard drive.
Plus, the two times that I DID use Norton, soon after, my computer crashed.
I have not, and will not ever put Norton on my computer again.
Now, one more thing you should do besides clearing your cookies (damm, that sounds perverted) is to clean your computer of temporary web files.
To do this, open your browser, click on tools, in the drop down, click internet options.
Click on delete files.
This may solve your problem.
Let us know if it did.
Bob.

Thats what I forgot. I just run disk clean up every other day or so.

I tried several suggested approachs, but ended up on line with symantic for 3 hours
getting the problem resolved. I am back to happy again.

So what was it? The few times I had these problems wasn't anything ridiculously serious. It is very irritating when you keep getting redirected back to a search engine but in the end-for my situation-it was something more simple than you would believe.

IIRC I could have swore seeing some kind of bug that made Google search engines do that once or twice before also.

Members online

Back