Intermittent Start, Constant Confusion

At my wits end, but I think I'm on to something. Gas mileage is really suffering now, and I hear a noise with every touch of the gas.

Fuel pressure regulator???

Would love to know the part # or suggested replacement piece.

At my wits end, but I think I'm on to something. Gas mileage is really suffering now, and I hear a noise with every touch of the gas.

Fuel pressure regulator???

Would love to know the part # or suggested replacement piece.

The LS has a returnless system. There is no fuel pressure regulator to replace. There is a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail under the hood. Fuel pressure is regulated by the PCM sending commands to the REM to run the fuel pump faster or slower as needed.

check/replace air filter
clean throttle body with teflon safe crc brand only
clean maf with crc maf cleaner (even if it doesnt look dirty)
try disconnect/reconnect battery
dump a bottle of lucas in the tank
ensure you are using correct octane 91+
the list of ez sh*t to try goes on...

do you have any symptoms while driving? that could probably help someone think of something else...

check/replace air filter
clean throttle body with teflon safe crc brand only
clean maf with crc maf cleaner (even if it doesnt look dirty)
try disconnect/reconnect battery
dump a bottle of lucas in the tank
ensure you are using correct octane 91+
the list of ez sh*t to try goes on...

do you have any symptoms while driving? that could probably help someone think of something else...

check, check, check, check, check, check.... done it all. done the coils, plugs, fuel filter, etc etc. what could be left? It's still only happening about 70% of the time, and the smell of gas continues.

should I start from the top and do it all again?

There seems to be a steady drip sound coming from the passenger side, almost like a very slight metal "TINK" ... "TINK".... and it's rhythmic. We may have a culprit.

Is this an intermediate to beginner job? I'd hate to pay someone for a little weekend elbow grease. Will I need to pull stuff apart just to correctly diagnose?

these are fuel injected cars... no benefit will come from doing that...
Not exactly--if you press the loud pedal to the floor and hold it there while you try to start the car, that tells the PCM that the engine is flooded, and it engages a special strategy to deal with it (basically, it keeps the injectors closed). In the EEC-IV world, it was called "Roll Start Mode," because it was there to keep you from dumping raw gasoline into the cats while roll-starting a car with a manual transmission.

It's also one of the ways you can check for the infamous leaky injector problem. If it doesn't start normally but does start with the pedal on the floor, then there's a good chance that one or more of your injectors are leaking.

There seems to be a steady drip sound coming from the passenger side, almost like a very slight metal "TINK" ... "TINK".... and it's rhythmic. We may have a culprit.

Is this an intermediate to beginner job? I'd hate to pay someone for a little weekend elbow grease. Will I need to pull stuff apart just to correctly diagnose?

I suspect that the sound you are hearing is metal expanding/contracting. This is fairly normal and may be coming from the exhaust manifold. I'd be surprised if you could hear fuel dripping inside the intake, but I could be wrong.

Changing out a fuel injector is not too involved. You will have to lift all injectors on the bank that you are changing one out of. You should replace the o-ring seals on all of them that you lift out of the manifold.

i say take it to lincoln for diagnosis.
i would bring their diagnosis here and see if anyone can help you further prior to having them actually do the work

Members online

No members online now.
Back