Interior LED replacement lights issue

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Sooo.... last week I replaced the incandescent interior lights with LED, (front floor and rear seats only). All seemed well until tonight. I noticed they were on very dimly,,, even with the interior dimmer control all the way down. Right now they are on... even with the vehicle shut off. Best I remember they weren't doing this when initially installed.

Any ideas??? :confused:

Is it really a problem for you?
It's not a battery drain. Slightly more power was being wasted in the incandescent bulbs, they just weren't efficient enough to produce any visible light at that power level.
They do go completely off after the car goes to sleep (30 or so minutes after you last do anything with the key off).
If the light really is bothering you, then you could add a load resistor. Personally, I like the very slight amount of floor light. I can look down on the passenger side at night and see my dog.

Thanks Joe. I was hoping you'd chime in.

No... it isn't a problem. Just slight, (paranoid), cause for concern. I also like the slight amount of light. I thought maybe they would shut off when the car slept, but wasn't sure. I just don't recall them doing that when first installed,,, and was curious why now. Thought maybe there was a problem.

If there were any incandescents still installed last time, they'd accomplish the same thing as an extra resistor and kill the glow. Some LED bulbs seem to already have a resistor for this purpose. The Gen 2 LED high brake light has one. My reverse lights don't glow, but my interior did

I've seen people install hyperflash resistors which is ridiculous given the amount of heat those produce (they're only 6 ohms and draw 2 amps). All that's needed is a single ~4300 Ohm resistor wired across the positive and negative wires that will draw 3 mA at most

The glowing can show up on exterior lights as well

Ordered all mine from superbrightleds and dont have any that stay on except the plate bulbs.

If there were any incandescents still installed last time, they'd accomplish the same thing as an extra resistor and kill the glow.

That's it... I installed map lights at a different time. I didn't count them because they are disconnected so that they don't come on with the rest of the lights... but only when the buttons are pushed. Evidently there was enough load passing through the switches,,, to allow the old bulbs to act as a resistor.

... I didn't count them because they are disconnected so that they don't come on with the rest of the lights... but only when the buttons are pushed. Evidently there was enough load passing through the switches,,, to allow the old bulbs to act as a resistor.

You have a misunderstanding of how the map lights work. With the switch in the normal position, they are directly connected to the same circuit as the rest of the interior lights.

That may normally be true... but mine aren't. I disconnected them from the circuit for the rest of the interior lights... at the overhead console. Now mine only turn on when I push the buttons. This was done years ago.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back