interesting way to remove a stuck brake rotor

Better yet put antiseize on them new and this never happens.... And if it does don't be a pussy and swing the damn hammer like it just did your girl

My finance's corolla rotors come pre drilled and tapped so you can use a bolt to pop them off

If there really frozen on you will just pull those threads right out. Been there done that. But it is nice when the threaded holes do work.

I've got a good story for this one...

Buddy brings over his 94 Camaro to do front pads and rotors... easy peasy.

So we get down to removing the rotors and damn do they look rusty... so I started beating on them and beating on them, until I had cracked off big chunks of them all the way around and they still wouldn't come off... So we took off the knuckles and brought them to a shop and he put them on a press... long story short the wheel bearing ended up getting ruined and a 30 minute brake job turned into pads, rotors, wheel bearing, ball joints, and $50 in shop fees and the car was down for 3 days.

Ahhh, so this is what happens when you wait until the grinding is so unbearably loud or the pulsation almost pulls the wheel out of your hand, that you decide its time to replace brake parts. Properly maintain the vehicle and I'm sure that rotor wouldn't have been such a pain in the ass to take off if it were replaced when it needed to be replaced.

But yes, that is rather interesting....

as Moes8 said,
that is in NO WAY near as satisfying as swinging the hammer as hard as you can and cursing and swinging more,until you are about to light the vehicle on fire and roll it off a cliff. And then.. right when it finally breaks loose you get that satisfaction of showing who is the boss,with hammer in hand and sweat pouring off you head.

i have too many hammers and i need to get some return on my investment ;-)

its nothing to do with how long the rotor has been on, ford had an issue where the side of the hub and the inside edge of the rotor hat was too tight and they would always rust together and almost never come off in one piece. my method was to take my 3lb maul and hit the surface of the rotor inward till it cracked free of the hat then all the pieces just fall off. even the method in the video will mess up the rotor enough that its still junk, and you run the risk of breaking off the mounting tabs from the knuckle

PB blaster... Once again...why don't you people use LUBRICANTS!

Squirt a bit on it, let it sit a few...then smack it with a hammer... I've NEVER had to destroy a rotor to remove it from the hub.

I remove at least 20-30 rotors a day in my shop...some from northern states, where the cooling fins are completely rusted closed, and I still don't break them

Your run ins with rotors does not equal all scenarios. I live in NE and have had rotors WELDED on with rust. Had to cut them off.

I get vehicles in here from all over the US..and have had a few from Canada..still never broke one -shrug-

a789924b.jpg

I hear what you are saying. But I want you to understand that by your statements,there is never in this world ever ever frozen on rotors. Do you really think that there are 0 stuck on rotors in the whole time man has been on this planet? LOL

I hear what you are saying. But I want you to understand that by your statements,there is never in this world ever ever frozen on rotors. Do you really think that there are 0 stuck on rotors in the whole time man has been on this planet? LOL

+2 ford even clearanced the hub to give it more room, i think it was primarily 02-04 (or 04-06) 4x4 f150s that had the issue

Members online

No members online now.
Back