Interesting ride home! (Don't read if your safety conscious)

AndyT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I get on 91 Southbound from Greenfield on my way home from work today. Behind me is a guy in a red Envoy Denali, trying to pass me going up the single lane on ramp. He drives off the road, and gets half the truck in the grass, still trying to get around me. We get to the top of the ramp, and he goes to pull out around me and floors it. It had the 5.3 V8, sounded pretty damn good. Anyway, I get behind him, and follow. Next thing I know were going over 100, and hes swerving all over the road, cutting people off, riding with half the vehicle on the road half on the median. I decide this is clearly unsafe, and call the area State Police barracks. I got the same dispatcher as a few times before, and he asked me for a plate, I said I would have to catch up to him, the dispatcher responded "If you can do so safely, then go ahead." So, getting the go ahead, I caught up to him doing about 110, and read off the plate, along with our current speed. The dispatcher said "Ok, I'll send a few units out to that area. Are you still behind him?" to which I said yes. All of a sudden, the Envoy darts across a lane of traffic, and takes the off ramp. I told the dispatcher he got off, and he quickly responded with "Stay behind him until units are in the area if you can." I followed him up the ramp. He gets in the right turn lane, sees me behind him, and makes a wide left turn. I follow him letting the dispatcher know what was going on. I'd say from the off ramp where he turned, to the intersection where there was a red light, it was about an 8th of a mile. We were doing about 65 by the time we hit the light. He takes a right at the light, and heads southbound on 5&10 in the area of the Deerfield Yankee Candle store. Were now traveling at the speed limit due to traffic. He turns off into a closed store parking lot. I continued up the road to an intersection, where I pulled a u-turn and pulled into the parking lot. He was sitting behind the building I assumed, so I parked on the opposite corner of the parking lot where I could watch both exits. I explained to the dispatcher what was going on, and he said to wait where I was, and that he was going to issue a BOLO on the vehicle to state and local police departments. All of a sudden, I see the Envoy come flying out from behind the building and pull out of a back entrance. I follow behind him. Ended up taking a back road, where I initially lost him. He then passed me at a cross street. As soon as he saw my car, he floored it again, and took off. I pulled out behind him. He ended up turning down a small residential road. I pulled over and the end of the road, and sat where I could see the street ahead, and behind me if he tried to go around the block. I was telling the dispatcher where he was, and where I was. He told me to wait there, and see if I could see if he came out of a side street, and that he was dispatching units Code 3 to the area. I sat there for a good 3 minutes, when I thought I saw a red Envoy traveling down a cross street at a pretty good pace. I tried to follow him at that point, and ended up losing him. State Police dispatcher said they issued a BOLO and had his name and address, so they would get him eventually. He asked me what I was driving before he hung up, and I just said a black Lincoln. He then asked what kind of Lincoln, and I said a Mark VIII. He chuckled and said, ok that explains why you could keep up with him. I laughed, and he said thanks for your help, and hung up.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting ride home from work! The car took it like a trooper (no pun intended), and I was amazed at the stability of the car at the higher speeds.

Great story, I can't believe they told you to try to keep up!

I've been to that Yankee Candle, I know where you're talking about!

Yea, the few times I've had those kinds of issues on that stretch of 91, they've been really cool about it. Last time, I called about erratic driver in an Avalanche, and they had a trooper on the side of 91, that when we passed by him, he pulled out. Before he pulled over the Avalanche, he matched my speed (I was in the slow lane, him in the passing lane), hit the siren for a second to get my attention, I look over, and he gave me the thumbs up, then proceeded to get behind the truck and stop him.

That's pretty cool that you know the area I was talking about! It's usually pretty tight with traffic there at the time we were through there. I'm so bummed I lost him! It was an intense adrenaline rush!

dude that was an awesome story, especially the part with the avelanche, the cop and the thumbs up. Be safe man

If it were the cops around me they would have given me a ticket doing 110.

Yeah, I mentioned to him a few times that he was traveling at a high rate of speed on the highway, and both times I've called with issues like that, they've said if you can safely keep up, then go ahead and do so. The Mass State Police out of the Shelburne and Hatfield barracks seem to be pretty cool about it, if your calling to help them out. I'm just hoping they at least pay the guy a visit. He was obviously trying to avoid me, and I'm sure he noticed I was on the phone the whole time I was behind him. He must have something to hide.

Good story. I once followed a guy in a Jeep around town who was obviously drunk as he almost hit me passing me on a 4-lane road and decided to slow down and swerve all over the road. Tried to pull in and reverse out of driveways, take side roads, etc. but wasn't going fast at all. At the end of the tail I noticed another truck was following him too. Musta almost hit him. I was on the phone with a dispatcher the whole time giving turn-by-turns as we are going down a 2-lane road with traffic going both ways. All of a sudden I see Vic headlights in my rear-view, then it roars past me and another car in between me and the Jeep, running code 3 and straight forcing bitches off the road in the oncoming lane. It was pretty cool.

Haha, sounds pretty cool. This guy was hauling though. When I made that u-turn at the intersection, the light was green in my direction, so I just ripped a u-turn with people coming towards me, then I wasn't going to make the corner, so I had to back up, and then pin it and get going, hahaha! That was the most risky part of the entire thing. Oh well, now I really want to be on the pursuit division of a State Police barrack somewhere. It was a pretty intense rush.

thats awesome!
i admit sometimes i drive like a wild man but thats absolutely crazy that he was driving in the median, would never attempt something like that just because its moronic and the ones around here in ohio would have you dead in a heartbeat.

daaang. crazy stuff. we don't have many weirdos like that around where i live.

and I was amazed at the stability of the car at the higher speeds.

its not bad actually. pretty smooth and stable at non smooth and stable speeds.

Yeah, it was pretty smooth. Even with those strut bar (?) or whatever the hell their called, bushings being complete toast, she did pretty well. I still have to address the rotten egg smell at WOT though. There was only one time I had to open her up, but damn, she let me know she wasn't liking it haha.

Done that twice and both times they said to keep up if I could without endangering anyone. First time I had no chance (nissan pickup vs. slk) but they still got the guy at his house for expired tags. Second time I kind of laughed when they asked if I could keep up. Dodge caravan and I was in my modded mr2 turbo.

I had a situation like that also. A punk ass kid on the highway in a Ford Focus with some sort of boost got up on my a$$ in seconds when I got into the fast lane. He must have been weaving in and out of traffic at about 100mph because I didn't see him and then there he was just fvckin flying. So I got back into the slow lane and waited for the dickwad to pass and try to cut me off and I put it to the boards. I embarrased him and at the next offramp he was screaming vulgarities at me and said " I'll put a cap in your a$$"

I wanted so bad to follow him home and beat his a$$ but I've been around that block before and it only ends up with me in jail and the bad guy laughing. Road rage isn't worth it, and no matter how fast your car is, you can't outrun a bullet if a gun is in the hands of a douchebag.

I called the cops and I was told NOT to follow. Typically the police do not want you taking a vehicle pursuit into your own hands. That is their job. They just asked me for a tag# and vehicle description and the most recent direction of travel and a brief description of what happened.

cool story, didnt know they would ask you to remain in pursuit like that, atleast they didnt ask you to "take him out" and arrest him yourself, lol.

Could you imagine being authorized to do a pit maneuver... :eek: That would be some funny :q:q:q:q (although would never happen)

People drive crazy in that stretch. Of course, they have nothing on people driving on the beltway around D.C.

911 has no authority to have you violate state Vehicle & Traffic Laws laws and I wouldn't recommend getting involved in things like this because you risk your personal legal and financial future and no one would back you up, not even the 911 operator. Next time call the police and give them the location and leave it to them. By pursuing you kept the person in the Envoy continuing to speed which, while "cool" and all, continues to put innocent lives at risk. This is why a lot of police depts have non-pursuit policies. You are not trained in high speed pursuits and this was actually a pretty dumb move.

911 has no authority to have you violate state Vehicle & Traffic Laws laws and I wouldn't recommend getting involved in things like this because you risk your personal legal and financial future and no one would back you up, not even the 911 operator. Next time call the police and give them the location and leave it to them. By pursuing you kept the person in the Envoy continuing to speed which, while "cool" and all, continues to put innocent lives at risk. This is why a lot of police depts have non-pursuit policies. You are not trained in high speed pursuits and this was actually a pretty dumb move.

I appreciate your concern, but I CLEARLY put in the title of the thread (Don't read if your safety conscious). For you to come and preach to me, means nothing. You clearly have confused me for someone who gives a :q:q:q:q.

Could you imagine being authorized to do a pit maneuver... :eek: That would be some funny :q:q:q:q (although would never happen)

Especially with the sorry a$$ unibody cars we have. Leave that sort of chit up to a framed car. :p That also has me quite interested in how the Ford Taurus interceptor will do also having a unibody.

AND that also has me curious as to what these pigs we drive would weigh if it had a real frame underneath it.

I appreciate your concern, but I CLEARLY put in the title of the thread (Don't read if your safety conscious). For you to come and preach to me, means nothing. You clearly have confused me for someone who gives a :q:q:q:q.
lol, I don't care what your disclaimer said either :blah: I will say what I want
Hey Mike, ain't you a cop?
I'm not saying that just saying in general ;)

Especially with the sorry a$$ unibody cars we have. Leave that sort of chit up to a framed car. :p That also has me quite interested in how the Ford Taurus interceptor will do also having a unibody.

AND that also has me curious as to what these pigs we drive would weigh if it had a real frame underneath it.

i think i read that the new interceptors were reinforced in all areas that police would need them to be, i know i read that the suspensions were beefed up to handle bouncing off curbs at higher speeds than the crown vic without damage, that remains to be seen in real life,but thats what ford says.

Members online

No members online now.
Back