intake question.

Personally I think doing a MAF on a stock Mark VIII is a waste. The stock MAF is not a restriction on the stock motor. Also if you are going to an open filter if you don't add a heat shield to keep the engine drawing the hot underhood air you will most likely lose power. Just lose the silencer and spend the money on something that will give you some real gains. For what it's worth I have dealt with Lonnie @BOC for my converter and Xcal and would recommend him.

Personally I think doing a MAF on a stock Mark VIII is a waste. The stock MAF is not a restriction on the stock motor. Also if you are going to an open filter if you don't add a heat shield to keep the engine drawing the hot underhood air you will most likely lose power. Just lose the silencer and spend the money on something that will give you some real gains. For what it's worth I have dealt with Lonnie @BOC for my converter and Xcal and would recommend him.

I coudn't agree more. Very good advice.

It is a performance mod, you will gain up to 5-7hp under ideal conditions. If you get heat soaked your timing will get retarded so you will lose some power. But I have monitered IAC temps and once the car is moving there's not much difference when the car is moving between the stock airbox and a conical.

It is a performance mod, you will gain up to 5-7hp under ideal conditions. If you get heat soaked your timing will get retarded so you will lose some power. But I have monitered IAC temps and once the car is moving there's not much difference when the car is moving between the stock airbox and a conical.

Thats what I have concluded was happening to me, I started having stumbling issues randomly and it usually occurred when it was hot as hell outside, from a dead stop at partial throttle the car fell flat on its face, put the stock box back on and the issue never repeated. between Tommy and I we calculated about 30 deg of timing was being pulled out.

if you do a coil conversion remove the air ride compressor and the silencer and you have perfect room for a cold air with cone filter.

We don't have 93 in CA.

??.. what ??.. all gas stations have 93 here ( except wawa gas.. 92) .. some have 94 .. and a select few have 97 or they did.. if i remember correctly Sunocos used to have 101 or 104 at 2 stations in south jersey..

i can get 94 at a few sunocos out here. theres a station a few miles from me that sells VP. then again its 5 miles from a local circle track. i live in the middle of nowhere too.

They did away with the 93 octane in the west years ago. It's 91 octane premium or you can get 100 octane racing fuel here in Las Vegas at Rebel stations if you want to pay the outrageous price for it.

I don't care what anyone says, replacing a stock ported air box with a conical does not do a darn thing for performance. All of these little Honda's running around with cones under the hood are fools, You need to route it out of the hot engine compartment, Then you might see minor gains.

I don't care what anyone says, replacing a stock ported air box with a conical does not do a darn thing for performance. All of these little Honda's running around with cones under the hood are fools, You need to route it out of the hot engine compartment, Then you might see minor gains.

Woot!

We have a winner!

Before you guys say that the maf doesn't add power put your mark on the chassis dyno and test it. cuz we did and add power across the whole upper power band. and the whole hot air in the compartment thing really its ok cuz more hot air is better then very little cold air.. on the 94 mark we finally put the conical in behind the bumper. where the compressor used to be. and even cut a whole in the bottom of the bumper for better air flow to it. then back to the dyno and you know what I lost 6 rwhp. and that was with a high density fan blowing right into the cut out so it could get some nice cold air.

now with my mustang and the procharger on it when i put the air filter in the fender it gained 2lbs of boost and ran few degrees cooler

If you data log a stock or mildly modded NA Mark it can not come anywhere close to exceeding the flow capacity of a stock Mark MAF...

I picked up a LMS MAF and Cold Air Box off E-Bay for cheapish. Put it on and BABOOM! Backfired and farted like mad :confused:

I removed it right away cause I had borrowed the tamper torx to do the swap and have been holding off on installing it again to diagnose why it was having those problems??

Well today was nice so I decided to put the LMS Big MAF and cold air kit back on my 96'.

Anyway I put it all on and started it, smooth idle and stabbed the throttle getting that bit of a roar. Take it for a test drive around the block again and it went pretty good. Nice rumble/roar when ya stomp on it but I noticed when I would pass a car or van the engine sounded loud :confused:

Loud as in pinging I think? Either that or the engine all of a sudden got real loose? I am only running 89 but that is what I have been running like since the gas got stupid expensive so I would gather I would have heard it before?

I got the kit of EBAY so I can't be sure that it wasn't modified for bigger injectors or anything like that? No CEL light yet but I sweat I hear some more pinging than I ever heard before :mad:

Members online

Back