Instrument Cluster LED upgrade advise

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I had a bad airbag light so I figured since I already have to pop out the Cluster to replace the one bulb, that I might as well just go ahead and upgrade the others all at the same time and go with LED. My question is should I go back with Dome LED bulbs T5 or should I go with the LED that is more flat on the top. I have seen some videos and such show the more flat ones but wouldn't the dome ones fit a bit better?

15 COOL White Ford Instrument Panel Cluster Dashboard LEDs Domes Lights Bulbs 37 | eBay

vs

10 x T5, 5050 SMD LED White Instrument Panel Dash Light Bulb 74 17 18 37 70 2721 608729243236 | eBay

Thanks in advance!

I wonder (do not know) if using an LED for the SRS light would cause the RCM to think the bulb was out (due to the LED drawing a lot less current)?

Otherwise, of the two LEDs, I don't know which is better. It's the reflector under the LED die more than the lens over it that determines where the light goes.

I wonder (do not know) if using an LED for the SRS light would cause the RCM to think the bulb was out (due to the LED drawing a lot less current)?

So I should just replace the airbag light with a stock bulb and then the rest would be ok ?

So I should just replace the airbag light with a stock bulb and then the rest would be ok ?

I would not expect any problems with the rest of the bulbs being LED. I am not certain that the SRS being an LED would be a problem either, but I think that it could be. You could try it (worse case would be you have to remove the cluster again and change it back to a normal bulb), or you could play it safe...

I am gonna try these 10x Ultra Blue T5 PC74 Twist Lock Wedge Instrument Panel LED Light Bulb Socket | eBay
Seems like they would fit a bit better cause of the base.
They Worked Great they make a nice tight fit just like the oem bulbs did and no glue needed. But I am thinking of replacing the smaller bulbs in the panel as well does anyone know what the size of them are. The Bigger ones seem to be T5 and the others are just a bit smaller. Once I get the new instrument panel insert I will be sure to update with pics! Pretty sure the newer style insert will look great with LED lights. Here is some pics of the fit (Sorry my camera kinda sucks)
Also this is an extra cluster I had sitting around, I will change out the others in a better area I just did this for testing purposes.
Before (I did have one changed to LED)
1.jpg

2.jpg

After
3.jpg
4.jpg

It's all back together will upload some pics once I put it back in the dash! But keep in mind I have not done anything to the skin and it might look wacky with blue LED's at this stage!

Last edited:

Members online

Back