Instrument cluster bulbs

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped theirs to LEDs? If so what did you use? There are so many choices I don't know where to start. Also back up lights and license plate lights, again there are too many choices, it's giving me a headache, LOL!!! Any input would be helpful. Everything else in the interior has been converted to LED except the gauge cluster. Just need the 7 main ones. Not to worried about the accessories on the cluster. Thank you for your input.

Why are you trying to replace the cluster lights with LED? There's a green shield on the gage faces, so they're still going to light up green.

The backup lights are 168, and the reverse lights are 921. Both bulbs use the same base as the 194 bulb, and searching for 194 LED bulbs will probably yield the best results.

There's not too much that will fit into the license plate lights. You want a good 360° LED or it'll look weird (narrow spot directed on part of the plate with the rest dark. For the reverse lights, you want the brightest, widest angle forward facing LED that will fit into the housing.

I don't know if either of these bulbs have bulb out warnings. Pull the bulbs with the car running and lights on and see if a message shows up on your cluster. If it does, you'll need error cancellation LEDs.

I've removed the green already and have installed white faces. Just need the 7 LED for the main components. Was seeing what other members have used to get an idea of brightness and what type, i.e. 360, 180, forward facing, etc.

It depends on how the sockets are oriented, but I'd recommend getting as close to 360° as possible for the instrument cluster. If they sockets are facing the gauges, you can get away with a 180°, preferable with a diffuser to make sure the gauges are lit evenly.

LED conversion for instrument clusters

I just buy high brightness LEDs and custom install them into bulb sockets. That way I can control how it looks. Then I put a resistor on the side of the circuit that is not controlled. Have done it on many other makes of cars but not the Lincoln. I'll have to pull on out of one of my parts cars and try it when I get some spare time...that could be a while. Be careful Anti-theft is in the cluster. Car won't start if you mess that up.

Do you know what LED would fit into the stock twist locks on the 7 main bulbs for the cluster that light up the main area, i.e. fuel, temp, speedo and tach? I just want to get those and have everything finished. Everything else is ready for the install. Green is gone and I have white faces in, which actually look quite good, IMHO...

Members online

No members online now.
Back