Installed KKM intake

ltnate3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, I installed on wed and drove around a couple of days. I just drove to my parents house for the weekend, 300 miles. On every other trip I usually get 24.8mpg, on this trip it went down to 23.1. How could this be with a new intake setup? By the way, my original filter was even dirty so I was expecting a huge difference. Has anyone had the same problem with mileage going down? By the way I had it cruise around 75 or so.

It may take a 100 miles for the PCM to adjust to the new air volume coming in. You should see the same gas mileage as long as your not getting foot happy with the new toy!

GrayGhost1 said:
It may take a 100 miles for the PCM to adjust to the new air volume coming in. You should see the same gas mileage as long as your not getting foot happy with the new toy!

Yeah the trip was 300miles and the mpg is way worse. I had it on cruise most of the trip so I don't know what's going on. I can feel a difference when i hit the gas; just thought it would be better when cruising.

ltnate3 said:
Yeah the trip was 300miles and the mpg is way worse. I had it on cruise most of the trip so I don't know what's going on. I can feel a difference when i hit the gas; just thought it would be better when cruising.

Could it be because of the are temp? The engine isn't getting cool enough air.

I would think that the KKM intake is a performance modification and as such I really woudn't expect better gas mileage. If anything I would expect it to get worse.

Now, that said, I retuned the computer on my 2000 Blazer with all the Hypertech perforance mods and I picked up 2 MPG!!! I was completely shocked.

mharrison said:
I would think that the KKM intake is a performance modification and as such I really woudn't expect better gas mileage. If anything I would expect it to get worse.

Now, that said, I retuned the computer on my 2000 Blazer with all the Hypertech perforance mods and I picked up 2 MPG!!! I was completely shocked.

Yeah it's a performance mod but I figured as long as my foot isn't in it, I would get better mpg from the increased airflow.

Yes, but since you're sucking in 150+ degree air as opposed to ambient, it will take more throttle to get the car up to, and maintain speeds. Make a heat shield (hint, do a search first) to get cold air to the motor and your mileage will improve, as well as throttle response.

Heat is a killer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back