inner tie rod rivet

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
question doing inner tie rods. The rivet big end seems too big to go in the hole. the smaller end seems too small. Do you use the small end or force the bigger end in?

question doing inner tie rods. The rivet big end seems too big to go in the hole. the smaller end seems too small. Do you use the small end or force the bigger end in?
I got some new ones from Moog in my basement I can look at and call you back.Tuesday

I got some new ones from Moog in my basement I can look at and call you back.Tuesday
Thanks Bill, i was sure before I started that it was the big side in first. Didn't make sense the other way, but the big side wouldn't fit. I used a tiny socket and extension and started tapping it in and it did go in. I should have continued with the hammer, but the TSB said to use channel locks. That is a mistake, it bent the rivet and when I tried to straighten it out it broke off. I would think it would be fine and do what it was supposed to do - keep it from getting loose. Just a pita when I have to replace that inner tie rod. I'm going to start a post to see how you get these out when they break off.

Thanks Bill, i was sure before I started that it was the big side in first. Didn't make sense the other way, but the big side wouldn't fit. I used a tiny socket and extension and started tapping it in and it did go in. I should have continued with the hammer, but the TSB said to use channel locks. That is a mistake, it bent the rivet and when I tried to straighten it out it broke off. I would think it would be fine and do what it was supposed to do - keep it from getting loose. Just a pita when I have to replace that inner tie rod. I'm going to start a post to see how you get these out when they break off.[/My new one I couldn'r locate where the hole is for the rivit. Pull up a Rock auto picture fir 91 inner and it show the rivit but not the hole. I do not as yet understand what you are trying to accomplish. Is the t rod have a rivit?

I get the picture after seeing it done with pictures. The rivit goes thru the wall if the large nut into the inner tie rod so the assembly cannot move. Did your rivet break off inside the tie rod and you can get it out. ? Or is this about not getting the large nut on the inner t rod's threads not wanting to start. The directions I saw showed the Mechanic removing the tie rod inner and the out dis connected from the car. Then he bench worked on the ritet removal. Then assembled everything on the bench. He measured the center to center tire distances before teardown. Opon re assembling with the new ( ist doing it on a bench) he set the toe back to his 1st measurement for a rough alignment. The car can be driven and another alignment at a shop if the owner desires. I will have mine 4 wheeled align with too many parts replaced for a toe in toe out on,ly align. Is this what your questions were concerning?

I get the picture after seeing it done with pictures. The rivit goes thru the wall if the large nut into the inner tie rod so the assembly cannot move. Did your rivet break off inside the tie rod and you can get it out. ? Or is this about not getting the large nut on the inner t rod's threads not wanting to start. The directions I saw showed the Mechanic removing the tie rod inner and the out dis connected from the car. Then he bench worked on the ritet removal. Then assembled everything on the bench. He measured the center to center tire distances before teardown. Opon re assembling with the new ( ist doing it on a bench) he set the toe back to his 1st measurement for a rough alignment. The car can be driven and another alignment at a shop if the owner desires. I will have mine 4 wheeled align with too many parts replaced for a toe in toe out on,ly align. Is this what your questions were concerning?
Yes trying to get it in, it broke off, thing was extremely tight fit - I think they gave me the wrong size push rivet. Moog also gave me two jam nuts for the one of the outer tie rod end (no castle nut).

Yes trying to get it in, it broke off, thing was extremely tight fit - I think they gave me the wrong size push rivet. Moog also gave me two jam nuts for the one of the outer tie rod end (no castle nut).
Try drilling it out?

Try drilling it out?
drilling it out went easy with a small screw extractor. Moog was no help saying they couldn't get me replacement rivets. I didn't want to uninstall these to use loctite to reinstall them, so I found a supplier who was amazing. Jay Cee Sales and rivet. Andrew there was nothing less than amazing!
Rivets by Jay-Cee | Rivets In Stock

Members online

Back